Health recovery

Questions and discussions about the game system.
Dragoslav

Health recovery

•    
  • Citation

Message par Dragoslav » 02 oct. 2012, 02:07

I've been accustoming myself to the game system, but there's one thing I'm not quite sure that I understand, and that's character health recovery.

The ways that a character regains health, detailed on page 240, are fairly straightforward:
1) 1 point of recovery for each night's rest.
2) 1 point of recovery if the character receives adequate care while injured.
3) 1 point of recovery if the character maintains a minimum of activity throughout the day.

However, the complications are what confuse me. In the following paragraph, there are listed several problems that may complicate health recovery:
1) "Each day, the Character must succeed in a Standard (11) Stamina roll for the recovery to be effective." Does "the recovery" mean the 1 point that a character can recover by sleeping? Or does it refer to the character's recovery as a whole, meaning that if he fails the Stamina check at the end of the day, then he can't recover any health from any of the three aforementioned sources?
2) "If a wounded PC does not receive appropriate care while he is resting, a failure indicates that his condition worsens by 1 point." Does the "failure" refer to a failure on the aforementioned Stamina roll? So if you fail the Stamina roll and are being tended to, you don't regain any hit points, but if you fail the Stamina roll and aren't being tended to by a doctor, then you regain no hit points and also lose 1 additional hit point?
3) "If the Character engages in strenuous activity, moves too much, or fights as he is wounded, he will not recover any points." I think this can be interpreted one of two ways: A) The character can still regain up to 2 health from a night's rest and/or medical care even if they engage in strenuous activity/fighting, or 2) A character who engages in strenuous activity/fighting can not regain any health from any source during that day.

Anyone know for certain how to correctly interpret this passage? Thanks!

iznurda

Re: Health recovery

•    
  • Citation

Message par iznurda » 02 oct. 2012, 08:40

Dragoslav a écrit : 1) "Each day, the Character must succeed in a Standard (11) Stamina roll for the recovery to be effective." Does "the recovery" mean the 1 point that a character can recover by sleeping? Or does it refer to the character's recovery as a whole, meaning that if he fails the Stamina check at the end of the day, then he can't recover any health from any of the three aforementioned sources?
Correct. On fail it's mean you are too weak to regain. Life is hard in Tri-Kazel :)
2) "If a wounded PC does not receive appropriate care while he is resting, a failure indicates that his condition worsens by 1 point." Does the "failure" refer to a failure on the aforementioned Stamina roll? So if you fail the Stamina roll and are being tended to, you don't regain any hit points, but if you fail the Stamina roll and aren't being tended to by a doctor, then you regain no hit points and also lose 1 additional hit point?
Correct, too. Injury is aggravated by themselves.
There is two levels : next the injuries (after a fight for example) => one stamina roll (point 2), and the recovery period (point 1).
3) "If the Character engages in strenuous activity, moves too much, or fights as he is wounded, he will not recover any points." I think this can be interpreted one of two ways: A) The character can still regain up to 2 health from a night's rest and/or medical care even if they engage in strenuous activity/fighting, or 2) A character who engages in strenuous activity/fighting can not regain any health from any source during that day.
It's logical : if one gets injured has run a sprint I do not see how he could cure. To cure you need to rest and haven't physical activity exempt simple action as eat, etc. But you can adapt with the level of the injurie. In summary, the efforts slow recovery (no HP points).

iz

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 02 oct. 2012, 16:34

Our good iznurda answered your questions very well: indeed, "not recover any points" means "not recover any points at all", and if you're not properly tended to, your wounds will worsen and fester!

A good lesson for those vain tougher-than-you macho warriors!
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

Valenae

•    
  • Citation

Message par Valenae » 02 oct. 2012, 19:50

Strange that 11 stamina roll is generally fails only on 1 (even with -1 from wounds)...
The Leader should not hesitate to slaughter the PCs at the slightest mistake in order to instil a heavy, horrific atmosphere

Для всех русскоговорящих игроков и ведущих - русский сайт Эстерина "вконтакте":
http://vk.com/club42561184

iznurda

•    
  • Citation

Message par iznurda » 02 oct. 2012, 21:54

1 is always a fail, in one way or another. Choose to use the automatic success with stamina is possible but injuries should always been a problem. If you wish you can print out a more heroic style to your adventures but personally I like it gritty :twisted:

iz

Dragoslav

•    
  • Citation

Message par Dragoslav » 02 oct. 2012, 23:13

Thanks for the insight, Iznurda and Clovis! The health and injury rules are much more brutal than they seemed when I first read them. It should make for interesting sessions. :)

JohnK

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 02 oct. 2012, 23:30

Hullo, Dragonslav,
Dragoslav a écrit :Thanks for the insight, Iznurda and Clovis! The health and injury rules are much more brutal than they seemed when I first read them. It should make for interesting sessions. :)
Tell me about it! :) I created several sample player characters and tried out the combat system using these characters, and well... absolutely *brutal*! Like you said, definitely going to make for some interesting game sessions, for sure. :)
Cheers!

...I'm new to the boards and to Shadows of Esteren, so please be kind to me.

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

Nelyhann
Coordinateur général, auteur & illustrateur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Nelyhann » 03 oct. 2012, 11:32

Hi Valenae,

it is good to see your there my russian friend :)
Strange that 11 stamina roll is generally fails only on 1 (even with -1 from wounds)...
The starting point is: if you are in good health (10 stamina) and have only (light wound "state "good") it is unlikely that your condition deteriorates. Indeed, you will only fail on a 1.

But for someone weaker in stamina, things can get complicated. Especially if injured. You must take into account the penalty of injury. A state of "critical" imposes -3 penalty even for stamina roll. Imagine you have 8 in stamina (pretty good) and citical wound... you will have to do 6 or better to suceed... much harder than 1, isn't it ?

Sorry for my bad english, I hope it is quite clear.

The rule for wound penalties is : malus apply on ALL dice roll. You have critical wound ? -3 on EVERYTHING :mrgreen:
That's the point !
«Patience et longueur de temps Font plus que force ni que rage.»
Le Lion et le Rat - Jean de la Fontaine

Dragoslav

•    
  • Citation

Message par Dragoslav » 25 mai 2013, 00:20

Reviving this thread for a clarification that came up during our most recent session.

Regarding the "no excessive physical activity" condition for healing, I assume that this includes not only fighting, but traveling, e.g. spending the day hiking. But what about if the character is riding on a mount? I haven't ridden a horse for long periods of time, so I can't say how strenuous it is. Thoughts?

iznurda

•    
  • Citation

Message par iznurda » 25 mai 2013, 10:14

My opinion is that ridding need some effort. This not an excessive physical activity but still a physical one ; not to mention the effects of the movement of the animal, little compatible with open wounds. And don't forget the saddle sore, expecially if the character is not a regular ridder.

however, if you want, you can authorize a natural health recovery if wounds are light, such as bumps and bruises (1-5 pt dmg)

iz

Répondre