Rules for bigger battles

Questions and discussions about the game system.
Répondre
kjetilkverndokken

Rules for bigger battles

•    
  • Citation

Message par kjetilkverndokken » 01 oct. 2012, 07:25

I have not finished the book, but I am quite certain this is not in the core book.

Combat between small units or all out war - will there be rules for such things or only as a backdrop for the setting.
I know that if one of my players want to play a person of more nobility - this question would arise.

Daïn

Re: Rules for bigger battles

•    
  • Citation

Message par Daïn » 01 oct. 2012, 07:56

Hey,
There is nothing canon yet in the Book1: Universe and I bet there won't be anything in Book3: secrets either. The reason why, I believe, is that SoE focuses more on the storytelling than technical mechanism and large battle isn't the most prominent aspect of the essence of Esteren (imo).

However, there is at the moment a topic in the french section treating this subject.
not sure you can read french but here it is:
http://www.esteren.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 44&start=0

Many ideas have been proposed so far but the discussion is still running. The main question is about the way to integrate strategy into the rules mechanism. There would possibly be something in the rpg "Legend of the 5 rings" that may be used as a reference.

If you have any specific ideas about it, don't hesitate to write them down here. I bet there will be enough people to reply/ argue.
- Ultimate horror often paralyses memory in a merciful way.

kjetilkverndokken

•    
  • Citation

Message par kjetilkverndokken » 01 oct. 2012, 08:01

I kind of guessed on this answer :)

If there will not be a system like this, I do think that the mass combat roles from A Song of Ice and Fire could be used, with very little rules hacking.

No, sadly I can not read french - otherwise I would have bought a few French only rpg's already hehe

Daïn

•    
  • Citation

Message par Daïn » 01 oct. 2012, 08:17

Do you mind telling us more about that system? "A song of Ice and Fire" rpg is great and I bet we'll appreciate even better if we can make something out of it for Esteren :D
- Ultimate horror often paralyses memory in a merciful way.

kjetilkverndokken

•    
  • Citation

Message par kjetilkverndokken » 01 oct. 2012, 08:31

Daïn a écrit :Do you mind telling us more about that system? "A song of Ice and Fire" rpg is great and I bet we'll appreciate even better if we can make something out of it for Esteren :D
Let me digest the SoE rules fully, and I'll see if can make a max two page rules-set for Mass Battles integrating the basis of A Song of Ice and Fire mas Combat with SoE rules :).
You have to wait a bit - as I am prepping my own roleplaying game for a coming con 12-14 of October.

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 01 oct. 2012, 15:45

Hi there,

Indeed, as Dain said, rules for mass combat are not part of the current system for Esteren, nor are they likely to be implemented in the future, since Esteren focuses on small scale adventures. However, as you said, there is nothing preventing you from making up your own rules, either by inventing them, or by drawing inspiration from other rules!

As far as I'm concerned, should I have to deal with such a moment as a GL in my campaign, I would do it in a very cutscene-like way, describing the battle and deciding its issue according to the elements involved. Should the PCs want to get involved, I would simply make them roll Close Combat a few times to see how they fare, or Relation (or the Command Discipline, if they have it) if they act as commanders.
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

kjetilkverndokken

•    
  • Citation

Message par kjetilkverndokken » 01 oct. 2012, 18:14

Hey Clovis
The one from ASOIAF is quite fast and easy to use, so it would fit with the themes of EoS I think. Its nice to have in case a War erupts in someones game. Are they really nessecary, no not really - but I like to give players as much control as possible without a subsystem taking over.

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 01 oct. 2012, 21:45

Of course, I see what you mean. If you want to be prepared to deal with such a situation, just in case, then it's all to your credit!
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

Répondre