How many miracles

Questions and discussions about the game system.
Répondre
StillOdoyle

How many miracles

•    
  • Citation

Message par StillOdoyle » 21 mars 2015, 19:21

Hello everyone!

Since the forums were so helpful with my last question about Magientists [thanks again!] I figured I would ask you all for help. I'm trying to figure out how many miracles the religious of the Temple are allowed to have at different levels.

The rules are clear that a "young Elect starts with the access to ONE miracle chosen by the Player." (pg. 256 'Universe') After that "a PC can awaken to a new Miracle only once for EACH LEVEL of the Miracles Discipline he earns." (pg. 230 'Universe')

So simply put, is a religious character at level six in the Miracles discipline able to access up to six miracles or are they stuck at one miracle?

The discipline level is "six" but it's only the "first" level the PC has obtained in that discipline. My GM and I both viewed the rule a little differently, so he sent me to the people that are bound to know!

-Thanks in advance for the help!

iznurda

Re: How many miracles

•    
  • Citation

Message par iznurda » 24 mars 2015, 14:52

Hi !

As I understand the main rules, young Elects need to have at least one point on the miracle discipline (the max on creation, anyway). This point give him acces to one miracle. With xp, he may acquire one new miracle for each discipline point he reach.

I think you are mixing domains (1 to 5) and disciplines (1-10) wich adds to the domains if usefull. That's why you can't use miracle with only the domain (except if your GM wants, it's her own choice or because it's a part of the journey)

Now, keep in mind that miracles are not instant gifts and each of ones should be introduce with a substancial roleplaying time.

Hope been helpfull !

iz

StillOdoyle

•    
  • Citation

Message par StillOdoyle » 04 avr. 2015, 05:44

Thanks for the reply iznurda, but my question still isn't answered. I want to clarify that I do understand how domains and disciplines operate and that the core of this question is more about how they're numbered rather than how they work. If they were numbered 1-10 as you stated I wouldn't have any question at all! A ranking of 1 would mean the character would only have access to one miracle regardless, but in Universe it says that “a discipline is rated from 6-15.” Therefore, I’m still trying to figure out what the book means when it says, “a PC can awaken to a new Miracle only once for EACH LEVEL of the Miracles Discipline he earns.” Is a religious member of the temple with a Miracles rating of 6 able to access up to SIX miracles or are they stuck with just ONE until they advance their rating?

I feel like there is an argument for either way you interpret the rule. The book says that a character starts with only one miracle and states that awakenings happen in a very mystical sense. Perhaps miracles weren't meant to be obtained too easily or rapidly and instead the characters should develop in a more methodical way gaining only one miracle for each rating in the discipline [1 miracle at rating six, 2 miracles at rating seven, 3 miracles at rating eight, ect.]. The downside to this method is the large amount of xp it takes to gain access to each new miracle. It seems unbalanced that a Demothorian across the table can have access to five different spells at the start of a game, but a Monk would have to spend at very least 125 xp after a game starts to have access to five miracles. On the other hand, being able to access up to six miracles in the first handful of sessions does seem like a rapid progression for a low fantasy game and the low number of available miracles would hint toward a slower progression.

While looking for more information on the topic I did find this one clue. In book 2 Travels the pre-made Sigire Brother Daernic has access to FOUR different miracles and a miracles rating of 8. This seems to support that it’s the “numeral” used for the rating not how many ratings you’ve gained that determines the number of miracles.

Sorry to be so long-winded. I’m just really trying to figure this one out and would love to hear the official word on the matter.

Iris
Première assistante coordinatrice & auteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Iris » 22 juin 2015, 08:36

Hello !

You've got to make a difference between "domain" and "speciality" (I don't have the english version of the book at home, so I maybe don't use the right terms):

Domain : 1 to 5 ===> Prayer
Speciality / Discipline : 6 to 15 ===> Miracle

Only few people learn a discipline. So that mean having Prayer 5 (Miracle 6) is the same thing as having 1pt in Miracle

... and means you know 1 Miracle

Hope it is clearer to understand :)
Si je ne suis pas là, vous pouvez me trouver ici ou ou par MP.

Répondre