[WIP] Lorn Rann and Liadh

Questions and discussions about the game system.
Répondre
Ocule

[WIP] Lorn Rann and Liadh

•    
  • Citation

Message par Ocule » 12 févr. 2015, 22:11

Currently these are two disciplines mentioned in Book 1 under Demorthen Arts. Lorn Rann being the art of creating Ogham Stones and Liadh. I am sure we will get an official article on it eventually so this section is part conjecture part a bandage until something like that comes out.

Lorn Rann (Disc)
Used to create new Oghams. A minimum rank of 6 in Lorn Rann is required to begin crafting new minor Oghamic Stones. Creating greater Oghamic stones requires 15 in Lorn Rann.

Ideas for variations
1) creating an oghamic stone requires constant dedication from the Demorthen and requires a tax on Rindath until the stone is complete. Until such a time your Maximum Rindath is reduced by 50% rounded up.

2) Creating a new stone costs 15 exp.

3) You craft 1 minor Oghamic Stone each time you put a rank into Lorn Rann. Using the Lorn Rann skill you can always craft a stone you attuned to. Once you reach level 10 you may craft any minor Oghamic stone although you still must pay 5 experience points to attune to it.

4) The difficulty of the task is identical to the meditation checks on page 251. The difficulty for creating a Greater Oghamic Stone is always (30) and takes a year and a day. This should be used in conjunction with previous options.

Liadh (Disc)
Used to communicate and interact with c'maogh. The difficulty for this discipline are identical to the meditation location difficulty on page 251. If the check is successful you have made contact with the c'maoghs and are able to interact (see and hear) with them for the remainder of the scene. Essentially this discpline would allow for actual relations with spirits.

Alternatively, this skill can function as having a major ogham but requires that the specific spirits whose domain a power falls under actually be present to hear your call. I'd probably let the spirit who answers this way actually have a rank and let that be the maximum circle called.

So some functions of this discpline laid out
1) See and hear C'maoghs
2) Relations for spirits
3) Produces similar effects to Oghams. More flexible but more unpredictable.
4) Can channel C'maoghs like a medium would with spirits of the dead.
5) At 15 the Demorthen may actually cross over into the otherworld.

Anyway these are just some ideas I had, id love to hear some feedback on what you all think so far on how to handle these two skills.

StripelessTiger

Re: [WIP] Lorn Rann and Liadh

•    
  • Citation

Message par StripelessTiger » 15 févr. 2015, 21:02

I like this idea, but I feel like the XP cost is too high, because you are already spending 25XP to raise the Domain, and then sacrificing a portion of your Rindath. I think the book's mention of 5XP per new Ogham is sufficient.

This puts a limitation on know Oghams before rank 10 to Empathy + Sigil Rann, which is kinda nice as it won't cause dependency on the spells.

My only qualm with the terminology is that the books specifically state that Greater Oghamic Stones can't be created because the art was lost. All PC Oghams are lesser versions, allowing compartmentalized control instead of global control. In fact, they might have been sealed away due to their power and propensity for abuse. They aren't really more powerful spells, just the ability to use all elemental spells of that type without having multiple stones.

The spells power is based solely on the casters skill, not the method by which you access the power.

The disc idea sounds like an Ouija Board to me. I'm not sure how Demorthen would react to such an item. Essentially I guess it is a channel to become more attuned to C'maoghs. Most adventures up to this point have had specialized rules for such occurrences, so I like that there could be invented rules for it, but Demorthen don't specifically require something to communicate with spirits. They train their body and minds to be able to do this at all times. More feel them than anything. So I feel like since Demorthen Mysteries and Relation are both based on Empathy that Demorthen Mysteries is already essentially Relation for spirits.
At 15 the Demorthen may actually cross over into the otherworld.
Hmmm, not sure how thus fits into the lore. Anything's possible, but this would be more based on location that an actual object I would think.

All depends on how dependent on the supernatural elements your campaign is.
“What we hope ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence.”

Ocule

•    
  • Citation

Message par Ocule » 16 févr. 2015, 23:13

Yeah i saw that both of these disciplines were lost to time along with the greater Oghams. But if the story called for these disciplines to be inserted into the campaign, i think requiring 15 which is a legendary skill to be able to craft legendary Oghams. Crafting new Oghamic stones i just think there needs to be some limiting factor. Finding a stone is one thing, but creating a new one that would allow another to learn the art is another all together.

So, Lorn Rann if it were ever to be opened up to the players of course this would be very extenuating circumstances. Maybe if they were taught by the c'maogh or some ancient hidden away Demorthen. Or a morcail creating corrupted stones. Even if they were able to create oghamic stones i think limiting them to lesser until you hit 15 or Legendary in the discipline. I wanted it to have some kind of resource that would prevent them from just making a hundred new stones and it be something that is done only out of need. So it could be time, rindath, or experience but either would there just needs to be some limiting factor.

Liadh, ive been trying to figure how this works as far as it being an identity all on its own. So higher ranks allow greater perception of the c'maogh. Now whether or not that replaces relations for working with them or functions more as an occult type skill that allows things like summoning and allows the demorthen to actually speak to and on behalf of the c'maogh. The meditation chart seems to provide a decent difficulty meter based on how urban or sacred the location is for difficulty of the task. Something just to add uniqueness to it would be the at 15 you can step into the otherworld.

There isnt anything mentioned about the otherworld but i am taking inspiration from celtic mythos on this one. It would be the world of the c'maogh, existing in the same world they do. Where you would find c'maogh, and the souls of the dead who have not yet been reborn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Otherworld

Also thought about inserting the Sidhe into the world but i think in my own home canon those are the c'maogh. Or at least a subtype of them.

iznurda

•    
  • Citation

Message par iznurda » 24 mars 2015, 17:03

Hi !

Sorry for the late response. I want to point out that Lorn Rann is mentionned as lost and I think it is why where'nt specific rules in the book 1. Concretely, that mean that no new oghams are created and all ogham stones are gifts or legacy from another demorthèns. In parallel, morcail corrupts their own oghams, so the number of normal ogham stones tends to decrease.

As GM, I don't give any ogham stone to player during the creation because in my own vision of Tri-Kazel oghams are uncommon. I don't see demorthens as a simple magical class and they have many others ways to be usefull (advisor, mentor, medecine, spiritual guide, etc.) They play an important role in traditional society so having one in the group is always helpfull in Taol-Kaer or Reihz.

About Liadh, I think the reasons are'nt the same. For me, it should be a roleplay tool and be played as could be dreams. Spirits are in the better way cryptic but I like your proposal =)

iz

Répondre