Combat

Questions and discussions about the game system.
Valenae

Re: Combat

•    
  • Citation

Message par Valenae » 19 janv. 2013, 16:25

Why wound penalties is not apply to defence? I'snt that strange that critically wounded char is as hard to hit as char with full health?
Dernière modification par Valenae le 20 janv. 2013, 18:46, modifié 1 fois.
The Leader should not hesitate to slaughter the PCs at the slightest mistake in order to instil a heavy, horrific atmosphere

Для всех русскоговорящих игроков и ведущих - русский сайт Эстерина "вконтакте":
http://vk.com/club42561184

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 19 janv. 2013, 17:20

I presume that you're wondering why wound-related penalties do not apply to a Character's Damage? Well, in a way, they do: since wound penalties notably apply to Attack rolls, it means that wounded Characters will have a harder time hitting, and if they do hit, they will do less Damage, since they will get a lower success margin compared to if they had been in top form.

However, the weapons they use remain as dangerous as before, no matter how badly injured they are. Thus, no reason for the Damage rating of the weapon to go down.

Do you see what I mean?
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

Valenae

•    
  • Citation

Message par Valenae » 20 janv. 2013, 18:47

I make a mistake. Why penalties didn't apply to defense?
The Leader should not hesitate to slaughter the PCs at the slightest mistake in order to instil a heavy, horrific atmosphere

Для всех русскоговорящих игроков и ведущих - русский сайт Эстерина "вконтакте":
http://vk.com/club42561184

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 21 janv. 2013, 02:50

Oh, well, it doesn't directly say anywhere that the penalties actually apply to Defense, but I actually always consider that they do. After all, they hinder all types of physical action, and defending yourself is all about reacting promptly with your body, so...

Old timer

•    
  • Citation

Message par Old timer » 21 janv. 2013, 09:21

Though reducing defence by your wound penalties is an interesting idea, would this not make combat even more lethal than it already is. Though my campaign wont start for a while, so i have yet to actual try out the combat rules in an actual game, my gut feeling towards this is that a reduced defence is going to make you very easy to hit, and you will suffer more damage as well, quickly leading to the characters death, which seems a bit harsh, as being wounded is a big enough deal in Shadows. I think as written is fine, but this is just my view on this.

tamsyn

•    
  • Citation

Message par tamsyn » 21 janv. 2013, 09:22

Yes we take them off defence too
@xtamsynx

Book 1 Farl Collector
Book 2 Farl Collector
MOT Tri-Kazelian

iznurda

•    
  • Citation

Message par iznurda » 21 janv. 2013, 09:27

If we want to be realistic, the penalty should be applied to the defense too. But I do not myself because the system wil be more lethal. Keep free to apply it, or not. As Clovis said, nothing in rules fix that.

iz

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 21 janv. 2013, 12:51

Indeed, all GLs are free to do as they wish; as always, this is one of the golden rules in Shadows of Esteren.

I think that, in this regard, it's all a matter of how GLs want their Players to experience combat. If GLs such things as applying wound penalties to Defense, they are clearly making combats moments where the PCs are truly risking their lives: fights are truly dramatic and tense moments.

Of course, GLs have to be fair with their choices: if combat is lethal, a GL cannot expect the PCs to be ready to take on any fight any time! Generally speaking, there should always be a challenge for the Players, but a decent one.

Répondre