Esteren movies database

Discussions around the universe of Esteren and its English series of books.
Blackstone

Re: Esteren movies database

•    
  • Citation

Message par Blackstone » 19 juil. 2013, 18:25

Quixol a écrit :* Thirteenth Warrior
* Brotherhood of the Wolf
Both good films that evoke the feel/setting tropes for SoE for me
I totally agree with these films completely. I watch both films regularly.

13th Warrior, IMO, screams the low level "magic" I so enjoy. You are not sure if the Wendol possess magic or not. The "dungeon crawl" thru the Wendol caves invoke a danger that you just can't really get with a rule system like AD&D. My players would just hit point brave and attack anything that moves. With systems like Shadows of Esteren and World of Darkness 2.0, there is a real fear that can be built. I love it. Players are very frightened.

Brotherhood of the Wolf inspires for me the Investigative side of RPG's that I adore. Reminds me a bit of the Mayfair CHILL rpg that I ran in college. Combat was a last resort, all ways. Finding a clue was far more fun for them then simply zombie bashing. Though the comfrontation with the "beast" of the week was always trilling. I once saw a player begin to actually sweat because he was so in to it. Brotherhood of the Wolf also had a lot of political intrigue but sadly, as a GM, this is where I am the weakest at. Its a work in progress for me.

Bram Stroker's Dracula is another personal favorite of mine. I remember watching in theatre and was mesmorized on the beauty of the film. That inspired me to run a series of stories in the 1890's using the CHILL RPG rules, in sort of a flashback sequence. My players were so on edge, they shot and "killed" a stuffed grizzy bear.

Warlock: The Armageddon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warlock:_The_Armageddon

Yes this is somewhat chessy horror movie from the early 90's. But the Druid and Warlock ideas was the basis for and entire run for my Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Homebrew for an entire summer. They spent the summer searching for the stones to finally confront "the ancient" evil that was held in his prison by the other gods. That was the summer one of players created a Infernal Druid. He was the child of a demon and a human woman. He was to be the Julian Sands of my world but the Druids rescued him and raised him as their own.

Druids This is a no brainer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druids_(film)

kjetilkverndokken

•    
  • Citation

Message par kjetilkverndokken » 19 juil. 2013, 18:55

Dragoslav a écrit :The fiancee and I love Vikings, and yes, I got a very "Esteren" feeling during the very first episode and have been examining it for inspiration ever since.
Only thing me and others that actually delve into the real "viking" culture can say - very good adventure series, but many wrong things about the people of that time.

On another note, it were always kind of stupid that the people of that age is called Vikings, they should be called the Old Norse instead, Vikings where only the old Norse pirates ;) .

T.J.

•    
  • Citation

Message par T.J. » 26 juil. 2013, 12:27

Thanks to the OP for this thread - as a new GL in the Esteren universe the resources here are going to be very useful!
Jill

Répondre