Clarification: Thorns

Discussions around the universe of Esteren and its English series of books.
Répondre
JohnK

Clarification: Thorns

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 01 oct. 2012, 19:40

Hullo, folks,

I would like a clarification about something...

In the Character Creation section, on page 204, under the Knight profession, it talks about "...chivalric orders such as the Hilderins or the Thorns.".

Does the business about the Thorns refer to the Bramble Knights, or are the Thorns some other organisation that we don't know about yet?
Cheers!

...I'm new to the boards and to Shadows of Esteren, so please be kind to me.

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

iznurda

Re: Clarification: Thorns

•    
  • Citation

Message par iznurda » 01 oct. 2012, 20:22

Hi,

yeah, maybe a translation error too. It's may be bramble knights. Their name comes in part from the ornaments of their armor. You can see some (with caernides on the over side) p. 128 of the Book I, if numerotation is the same as the french version. The section about trading and currency.

iz

JohnK

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 01 oct. 2012, 20:38

Hullo, Iz,
iznurda a écrit :Hi,
yeah, maybe a translation error too. It's may be bramble knights. Their name comes in part from the ornaments of their armor. You can see some (with caernides on the over side) p. 128 of the Book I, if numerotation is the same as the french version. The section about trading and currency.
iz
That's what I was thinking, too, a translation error in this regard. And yes, the Bramble knights were mentioned primarily in the section on Trading and Currency, on the same page in the English version that you mention, and I found them rather intriguing. (Wish there was more about them in some detail in the book, but perhaps in one of the future supplements?)

Until I hear otherwise, I'll be treating the Thorns mentioned above as Bramble knights.
Cheers!

JohnK

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 01 oct. 2012, 21:56

Yep, unfortunately, this is a translation error; the correct word should be "Brambles" instead of "Thorns"... I honestly apologize for such problems, but as you can imagine, keeping track of all the game's terms and making sure they all match is no easy task, even with a whole proofreading team to help!

This is going on my personal errata file: rest assured I'm keeping track of all mistakes such as this one so that they may be corrected in the future.
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

JohnK

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 01 oct. 2012, 22:54

Hullo, Clovis,
Clovis a écrit :Yep, unfortunately, this is a translation error; the correct word should be "Brambles" instead of "Thorns"... I honestly apologize for such problems, but as you can imagine, keeping track of all the game's terms and making sure they all match is no easy task, even with a whole proofreading team to help!
That's what I had figured might have happened, Clovis, and to be honest, with a translation job that size I can't honestly say that I didn't expect these sorts of errors.
Clovis a écrit : This is going on my personal errata file: rest assured I'm keeping track of all mistakes such as this one so that they may be corrected in the future.
Is there any chance of seeing this errata file go on-line or into a thread here on the forums? It would be nice to get some of this errata clarified and cleaned up, and have it some place where all the (English) gamers can access it.
Cheers!

JohnK

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 02 oct. 2012, 16:18

Putting an errata online for the community would indeed definitely be something to do. I'll see what can be done in this regard.

And thank you for your understanding. Even though we cannot afford to hire a full-fledged team of translators and copy editors, we are doing our best to provide a translation as accurate and correct as possible!
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

JohnK

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 02 oct. 2012, 17:26

Hullo, Clovis,
Clovis a écrit :Putting an errata online for the community would indeed definitely be something to do. I'll see what can be done in this regard.
Please do, as I can see where this would be extremely useful for the English community devoted to Shadows of Esteren. :)
Clovis a écrit : And thank you for your understanding. Even though we cannot afford to hire a full-fledged team of translators and copy editors, we are doing our best to provide a translation as accurate and correct as possible!
Not a problem. :) I completely understand. For me, it's not been the translation that's been the problem so much (though there are places where "exactions" has been used a couple of times instead of "abuses" or "atrocities", but there's the problem of idiom in the English language and some of the sentence structures are just...not quite right.

If you need someone to proof-read the English layout of the game products once the translation is complete and the layout is done, please let me know. I have a lot of experience with this for several game companies in England and the United States, and I would be happy to do this for you.
Cheers!

JohnK

Répondre