Dhumbear (a small village)

Discussions around the universe of Esteren and its English series of books.
kjetilkverndokken

Dhumbear (a small village)

•    
  • Citation

Message par kjetilkverndokken » 01 oct. 2012, 07:11

I have gotten the book a couple of days ago, but its firstly now I get to read it properly (even though I had the pdf). So now I want to start making a small village, with maybe a couple of hundred people living on the border between the old and new religion. A village that is split in its faith.

I am just putting this thought up there, and will come with more full information as I have read the book finished - feel free to give out ideas as I post up.

(after a while this should go to the GM section I think (have not gotten permission yet), but as no secrets are going to be posted in a while Its fine.

Daïn

Re: Dhumbear (a small village)

•    
  • Citation

Message par Daïn » 01 oct. 2012, 08:14

Hey,

Great news, I can't wait to see the village coming alive :D
Do you draw maps as well? The reason why I ask is because I had in mind to set up a style for Esteren maps. There isn't anything very obvious in the book about maps' style and it would be great to create some sort of benchmark (at least, for the fans side ...). What do you reckon? I may either help you or do the drawing, it's up to you. No offense taken if you reject the proposal, of course ;)
- Ultimate horror often paralyses memory in a merciful way.

kjetilkverndokken

•    
  • Citation

Message par kjetilkverndokken » 01 oct. 2012, 08:28

Daïn a écrit :Hey,

Great news, I can't wait to see the village coming alive :D
Do you draw maps as well? The reason why I ask is because I had in mind to set up a style for Esteren maps. There isn't anything very obvious in the book about maps' style and it would be great to create some sort of benchmark (at least, for the fans side ...). What do you reckon? I may either help you or do the drawing, it's up to you. No offense taken if you reject the proposal, of course ;)
I do draw maps, not digitally though, was never part of the art school I went into. But yeah, I thought about making a few maps. And actually, trying to do it in an older style have come to mind - so no color etc.
I will post some up as I go along writing up Dhumbear - and feel free to come with suggestions.

iznurda

•    
  • Citation

Message par iznurda » 01 oct. 2012, 08:30

My opinion is that with 200 habitant it's NOT a small village but an important one. With so many people it must be a commercial hub. Or the 200 includes a monastry (lot's of monks) and laymen ? Add a seasonal caravan tarishes (or halting for winter) it make lot's of people.

Wich are the agricol ressources of dhumbear ? Economics ?
Wich are the community buildings ?

There the questions you'll need to answer.

As Daïn I can't wait to see it :D

iz

PS : if you want later move this thread in the leader section send a PM to a moderator or an administrator ;)

kjetilkverndokken

•    
  • Citation

Message par kjetilkverndokken » 01 oct. 2012, 08:34

Haha, lol, yeah, its true it not really small considering the setting.
As I love the setting in the Hârn rpg's it will be quite detailed :)

When the time is right to write up some more secret stuff I can ask for it to be moved :)

I'll have a quick overview as soon as i am finished reading the whole book.

kjetilkverndokken

•    
  • Citation

Message par kjetilkverndokken » 02 oct. 2012, 10:41

Since I now have the possibility to read and post in the secrets forum - I will post both places. This thread will be the Players Guide to Dhumbear and the one in the Secrets section will be The Game master guide.

Daïn

•    
  • Citation

Message par Daïn » 02 oct. 2012, 12:28

Clever idea ;)

We'll get ready to catch your writting 8-)

Daïn

•    
  • Citation

Message par Daïn » 12 mars 2013, 11:52

Any updates about that awesome village? :D

Austin

•    
  • Citation

Message par Austin » 14 mars 2013, 00:47

That is crazy kjetilkverndokken. I was doing the very same thing for my game. I was going to establish Abhainn Ceoil (Musical River) just on the edge of the Sighing wood between Taol Kaer and Gwidre. It has 194, soon to be 196 in the way of population. there is a main road ( well main for this area) which winds its way through woods on both sides with a well built bridge spanning it. On the south side of the river, just outside the town, there is an elevated stone circle. The north side holds a small monastery to the one God.

The village gets its name from the peculiar set of falls. They are about 5m in height total and gentle. The river flows over the falls and when the water is a particular temperature it chimes. There is a mill just west of the bridge which is the primary source of income for the village as it grinds the grains from the small surrounding farms.

I am open for suggestions for additions to the village. I can move this to another thread should Kjet prefer.

Austin

Daïn

•    
  • Citation

Message par Daïn » 14 mars 2013, 07:32

As soon as I get a map, you'll give all the comments I'll be able to give ;)
Go take a pen and show me that awesome village!
:D

Répondre