Alternative Map of Tri-Kazel

Discussions around the universe of Esteren and its English series of books.
Répondre
Pierstoval
Web developer

Re: Alternative Map of Tri-Kazel

•    
  • Citation

Message par Pierstoval » 17 déc. 2016, 20:56

If you need a piece of information about Esteren Maps application, I'm here :D

The app

I developed the map but I'm not the only one that worked on it!

Chris was the illustrator who painted this huge map in watercolor, it was then improved with some digital painting.

Next, I developed the system that allows us to navigate in the map with google-maps-like features (thanks to LeafletJS library). I also developed the directions calculation system based on a cartographer algorithm (Dijkstra's algorithm, to be more precise).

And finally, Iris (co-coordinator and one of the main writers on Esteren), Evolena and Ethilon (two great members of the Esteren community) worked very hard to list all routes and markers on Esteren's map (the work is HUGE and stored in this file, just for you to see the amount of work behind this :D ).
Evolena and Ethilon also had to use an administration panel of my creation to update the online map and position the markers precisely, draw the routes and zones. Again, lot of work!

Distances

Obviously, when we realized that calculating directions in this app could also include time travel and distance calculation, we wanted to test more things in this feature, but we faced the same problem as you: distances "realityness".

Of course we had discussed a long time, internally, about how we can make a "real" map (the online map behaves like any "real" map, so distances are very precise) concord with the "fictional" map that was created?

Indeed the different scenarios implied a specific time travel between Melwan and Terkhên, for example. The problem is that the app showed us "how unreal" this was.

We had to specify a scale for the map, and we decided that the distance between the Wreckers (south-west) and the Pass of Gaos-Bodhar (north-east) was about 1000km.

With this scale, I can apply a ratio on the default map and calculate distances very accurately, thanks to computer calculation.

Melwan and Dearg were told to be about one day and more, and in fine the app states for five hours, which is quite less. And all other distances are like that.

We decided that we would try to adapt new scenarios and books to what the software tells us, but sometimes we will need to accept that distances are accurate nowhere :p

WoeRie

•    
  • Citation

Message par WoeRie » 19 déc. 2016, 08:49

Thanks for the reply. Sounds reasonable. I think I will use the map to give myself a rough estimation of travel time, most of the travel will be narrative anyway.

Another question: I use Win10 with the latest Chrome browser. Do you have any idea why I can use the map only once? After I searched a route I have to wait a few days until I can check a new route? This is reproducable. I asume it has something to do with the caching, but I have no idea how to turn it off.

I can't use a different browser, as I lost the mail with the password, so I have to stay with the browser I'm logged in.

stepanxol

•    
  • Citation

Message par stepanxol » 19 déc. 2016, 10:56

WoeRie a écrit :I can't use a different browser, as I lost the mail with the password, so I have to stay with the browser I'm logged in.
Just type "chrome://settings/passwords" in the address bar, search for any part of the URL, click on the "Show" button to recover it. You can always see the passwords stored in a browser (they're yours after all...).

WoeRie

•    
  • Citation

Message par WoeRie » 19 déc. 2016, 17:34

Cool, thanks... got it :)

Ok, I tried different browser:

- MS Edge works like Chrome. So, I can use it once and I assume I can use it again tomorrow.
- Internet Explorer 11 does not work at all.

As I have no other browsers installed on my system I would like to know if other people can use the map properly? And if yes, can you tell me thje browser you are using?

DiDoomDi

•    
  • Citation

Message par DiDoomDi » 19 déc. 2016, 22:31

I have been having the same issue with the map as WoeRie.

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 21 déc. 2016, 14:17

Hm, looks like once more, we'll have to wait for Pierstoval's answers in that regard!
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

Pierstoval
Web developer

•    
  • Citation

Message par Pierstoval » 23 déc. 2016, 21:13

Thanks a lot for your feedbacks!

Can you fill these forms with details about the issues so I can keep them in our issue trackers? :)

=> https://goo.gl/forms/2cBpEgj6sEQEJM513

I'll work on this when I'll have time after new year's eve ;)

WoeRie

•    
  • Citation

Message par WoeRie » 27 déc. 2016, 20:12

Pierstoval a écrit :Thanks a lot for your feedbacks!

Can you fill these forms with details about the issues so I can keep them in our issue trackers? :)

Give me an hint... which form?

Pierstoval
Web developer

•    
  • Citation

Message par Pierstoval » 30 déc. 2016, 13:11

WoeRie a écrit :
Pierstoval a écrit :Thanks a lot for your feedbacks!

Give me an hint... which form?
Ow, sorry, I think the links were not added to the message:
https://goo.gl/forms/2cBpEgj6sEQEJM513

WoeRie

•    
  • Citation

Message par WoeRie » 05 janv. 2017, 02:39

Filled and sended :)

Répondre