Adventures for Shadows of Esteren

Discussions around the universe of Esteren and its English series of books.
JohnK

Adventures for Shadows of Esteren

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 04 sept. 2012, 19:39

Bonjours, tous,

I suppose that this question has been asked before, and if so I apologise for that.

One of the things that the English rulebook is missing is an introductory scenario/adventure with some pre-generated player characters for the game.

As I understand it, there are quite a few fan-created adventures out there for the game, and several have also appeared in Casus Belli magazine. Can anyone give me some links to some of the adventures for the game created by the fans, preferably for beginning characters? I'm not worried about the length of the adventures

And is there any chance that some of the Casus Belli adventures will become available in PDF at some point, for those of who don't get the magazine?

Thanks, in advance. :)
Cheers!

...I'm new to the boards and to Shadows of Esteren, so please be kind to me.

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

Pierstoval
Web developer

Re: [EN] Adventures for Shadows of Esteren

•    
  • Citation

Message par Pierstoval » 04 sept. 2012, 20:20

First, hello and welcome in this huge community :D

For Casus Belli, I don't know if Black Book editions is going to give PDF version of the magazines for those who bought 'em, but it may be a question to ask to them to hope for an answer :)

Furthermore, the Book 0 - Prologue is almost translated and will be available soon, and I think it's gonna be like for the french version : free for the PDF version, and maybe $9,90 for the paper version. It contains a preview to the universe, a condensed version of the rules, and three scenarios perfect to introduce the whole ambiance of the game to neophyte players !

See ya soon :D

iznurda

•    
  • Citation

Message par iznurda » 04 sept. 2012, 22:19

Plop,

in order to preserve the player's experience, we try not reveal scenarios in the public forum, at least nothing really crucial. Therefore, and because french seems not a problem to you, I suggest you request access to the secret part of this forum. You'll find lots of material for GM made by the community.

In the meantime, maybe you will find your happiness HERE, in french.

Another GM asked us an adventure with monks, because he want deals with religion. Because the "Monastère de Tuath" is not again translate we are writing one to him. You, what kind of adventure would you like to play ?

iz

Glass

•    
  • Citation

Message par Glass » 04 sept. 2012, 23:00

You'll find the French PDF to Prologue here : http://issuu.com/lesombresdesteren/docs ... 0_prologue

The 3 adventures (Poison, Loch Varn and Automne Rouge) were designed as a prelude to the upcoming campaign, so they work great to introduce the game to new players. Loch Varn can be tricky to master though but I can't tell you more without spoilers.

The message board has a private section dedicated to Game Leaders called "Secrets d'Esteren" in which we can share scenarios, handouts, ideas, etc. without revealing anything to inquisitive players. You can request access to this section very easily, just send a PM to the admins (more info: here).

So far, I don't think anything has been translated in English, but you seem familiar with French language so it won't be a problem for you.

I'm sure the English section of the message board will have something similar once it's ready.

edit: argh, iznurda was faster than me on that one. :)
"Ne t'en inquiète pas, jeune savant, il est parfois préférable que certaines énigmes demeurent..."

JohnK

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 06 sept. 2012, 15:51

Hullo, Pierstoval,
Pierstoval a écrit :First, hello and welcome in this huge community :D
Merci pour l'acceuil. :) Thank you. It's good to be here. :) (Hopefully the English forums will go up soon, too.)
Pierstoval a écrit : For Casus Belli, I don't know if Black Book editions is going to give PDF version of the magazines for those who bought 'em, but it may be a question to ask to them to hope for an answer :)
In that case, I will try to get in touch with them and see if I can get an answer. As long as I have the material from Casus Belli in PDF form, I can do the translation of adventures and any other material that might be available. A list of various Casus Belli materials that came out for the game would be useful.
Pierstoval a écrit : Furthermore, the Book 0 - Prologue is almost translated and will be available soon, and I think it's gonna be like for the french version : free for the PDF version, and maybe $9,90 for the paper version. It contains a preview to the universe, a condensed version of the rules, and three scenarios perfect to introduce the whole ambiance of the game to neophyte players !
This is good to hear. As I understand from today's posting by Nely, the translation is complete. As one of the folks who didn't get into the Kickstarter for the English material, I will have to wait for the material until the Kickstarter goes up for that product. So I am deferring my game at the moment, as without an intro scenario I don't really feel that I can do the game justice at this point.
Cheers!

JohnK

JohnK

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 06 sept. 2012, 15:57

Hullo, Iz,
iznurda a écrit :Plop,

in order to preserve the player's experience, we try not reveal scenarios in the public forum, at least nothing really crucial. Therefore, and because french seems not a problem to you, I suggest you request access to the secret part of this forum. You'll find lots of material for GM made by the community.

In the meantime, maybe you will find your happiness HERE, in french.
I had seen that Secrets section of the forums here, and I have put in a request with Esteren in PM to get accepted into that part of the forums. I've not heard anything back in this regard, yet.

And thank you for the link. Like I need even more stuff to read about the game world, although the three adventures look really good, each in different ways! :)
iznurda a écrit : Another GM asked us an adventure with monks, because he want deals with religion. Because the "Monastère de Tuath" is not again translate we are writing one to him. You, what kind of adventure would you like to play ?
Mon dieu, that is a difficult question! :) There are so many facets of the world of Shadows of Esteren that interest and fascinate me that I'd love to see all sorts of material and adventures for the game! :)

After giving it some thought, I think I'd like to see scenarios that involve merchants, the demorthen, and something with the varigals.

One of the things that strikes me about the game is that there's so much to explore, so much to introduce player characters to. Once I have a better grasp on some of the world aspects, I want to write a scenario about delivering a package from point A to point B. But of course, nothing will be that simple. :twisted:

Btw, will the "Monastere de Tuath" be translated eventually? :)
Cheers!

JohnK

JohnK

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 06 sept. 2012, 16:06

Hullo, Glass,
Glass a écrit :You'll find the French PDF to Prologue here : http://issuu.com/lesombresdesteren/docs ... 0_prologue

The 3 adventures (Poison, Loch Varn and Automne Rouge) were designed as a prelude to the upcoming campaign, so they work great to introduce the game to new players. Loch Varn can be tricky to master though but I can't tell you more without spoilers.
Yep, Iz beat you to the draw on this, and I was glad to get the link to this material. Lovely stuff, and quite interesting though I've only made my way through "Poison" and "Loch Varn" so far. I agree with you about "Loch Varn" seeming to be tricky to run, but it looks like an interesting adventure for the players. LOL! Looking forward to the translation of Book 0 - Prologue, but will have to wait a bit longer for it, of course. It does make me wonder why when the game was translated to English, the Book 1 - Universe was done first, rather than Book 0 - Prologue.
Glass a écrit : The message board has a private section dedicated to Game Leaders called "Secrets d'Esteren" in which we can share scenarios, handouts, ideas, etc. without revealing anything to inquisitive players. You can request access to this section very easily, just send a PM to the admins (more info: here).
Yep, already sent a message to Esteren requesting access, but haven't heard back as yet.
Glass a écrit : So far, I don't think anything has been translated in English, but you seem familiar with French language so it won't be a problem for you.
No, from what I've read of the French version of Book 0 - Prologue, the translation shouldn't be too difficult. Just a matter of getting some of the nuances right in English.
Glass a écrit : I'm sure the English section of the message board will have something similar once it's ready.
I sincerely hope so. :)
Cheers!

JohnK

Daïn

•    
  • Citation

Message par Daïn » 06 sept. 2012, 16:19

JohnK a écrit : It does make me wonder why when the game was translated to English, the Book 1 - Universe was done first, rather than Book 0 - Prologue.
Hi,
As far as I know, Book 0 was never meant to be. I believe (meaning, it's only my opinion) the community went so strong asking for the pdf availability of some published adventures, released in a bunch of magazines, that the publishers decided to go for it. With lack of better name, Book 0 was born ;)

Btw: Welcome to shadows of Esteren! Enjoy the setting ;)
- Ultimate horror often paralyses memory in a merciful way.

iznurda

•    
  • Citation

Message par iznurda » 07 sept. 2012, 08:27

JohnK a écrit : Yep, already sent a message to Esteren requesting access, but haven't heard back as yet.
Don't be afraid, there is always a short time between the ask and the access. Usually one week but with the GenCon there may be a slight delay.
JohnK a écrit :One of the things that strikes me about the game is that there's so much to explore, so much to introduce player characters to. Once I have a better grasp on some of the world aspects, I want to write a scenario about delivering a package from point A to point B. But of course, nothing will be that simple.
I hope I can read that scenario soon ! There is lot of thing to explore in Tri-Kazel but on my side I love deals with human relationships and motivations, using the surnatural as an ambiant element.

I don't know if already exist materials in english but I'm curious to see the creations of the young SoE community.

iz

JohnK

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 07 sept. 2012, 16:03

Hullo, Iz,
iznurda a écrit :
JohnK a écrit : Yep, already sent a message to Esteren requesting access, but haven't heard back as yet.
Don't be afraid, there is always a short time between the ask and the access. Usually one week but with the GenCon there may be a slight delay.
Umm, does that mean that Esteren was actually at Gencon? Hmm, interesting. :) Still no word, but I am patient. :)
iznurda a écrit :
JohnK a écrit : One of the things that strikes me about the game is that there's so much to explore, so much to introduce player characters to. Once I have a better grasp on some of the world aspects, I want to write a scenario about delivering a package from point A to point B. But of course, nothing will be that simple.
I hope I can read that scenario soon ! There is lot of thing to explore in Tri-Kazel but on my side I love deals with human relationships and motivations, using the surnatural as an ambiant element.
Pour moi, that seems to be the focus that the game should have. While the Feondas are interesting to have the player characters encounter from time to time, the game is very much about human relationships and motivations (at least from what I've read in the game so far), and that's where I want to concentrate my efforts.

As for the scenario, as soon as I get a chance and catch up on a few things. :)
iznurda a écrit : I don't know if already exist materials in english but I'm curious to see the creations of the young SoE community.

iz
I haven't seen any English material devoted to the game as yet, but it's still early, je crois. It takes a while to digest the material that's been published, and I have to say that some stuff will be appearing from various SoE gamers sooner rather than later. J'espere. :)
Cheers!

JohnK

Répondre