Faction Player Characters Based on Cultural Knowledge

Discussions around the universe of Esteren and its English series of books.
StripelessTiger

Re: Faction Player Characters Based on Cultural Knowledge

•    
  • Citation

Message par StripelessTiger » 28 avr. 2018, 20:32

Kadakithis a écrit :
10 avr. 2015, 17:15
My issue was less with the orders, since I am used to my players never reading the books, and having to wing explanation. But with the countries. It felt often that many of the sources were from nearly always Taol-Kaer as opposed to Gwidre or Reizh and it was hard when nearly everyone wanted to start play in Baldh-Ruoch where there was relatively little on what daily life is like there.

I am really interested how artificial light works there "An artificial light imitating the rising sun, spread in a soft pinkish hue on the top of the court walls" So do the places in the middle of the rocks have completely different lighting?

Also I am really scratching my head over Gwidre's military. They are growing, but doing relatively little with it rather than patrolling their cities to make crime incredibly rare. Why are they not worse than Reizh rogue military? Is the Gwidrite capital a police state? I adore the world and am always surprised that the nuance it was made in has such an effect I can ask a question and ponder it which few worlds give you the chance to do.
I realize this is 3 years old but, I feel still relevant.

I never let my players read the books intentionally. It is not their job to understand the game setting. Their characters should have skills to represent their knowledge of the world, whether limited or encompassing. The game leader gives them pieces of the world as a storyteller and lets them discover and grow with the narrative.

I believe all the questions you are raising don't need definitive answers to be part of game-play. They are neither necessary or critical to any of the scenarios thus far. I would answer these questions for yourself. You determine the game setting the players dip their toes into. Define it, exclude it, change it...whatever serves the narrative.

If they have already played the game or read the books, it spoils the mystery of the world and self-discovery. As new players, they need indoctrination before baptism by fire.

It really is about the experience you as a storyteller lay out.
“What we hope ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence.”

Répondre