Morgon a écrit:
First off, for everybody just now joining the fun, it would be nice to have some of the goodies of the previous Kickstarter Stretch Goal Items as optional (add-on payment) items. Especially things like the pronounciation guide, handouts and miniature tiles make my heart bleed with longing
Please bring them back, or put them up on the Shop. What happened to the shop, btw?
Proposing the rewards from the previous Kickstarters once more is certainly something we intend to do. However, as for what will be made available exactly, I cannot give you an accurate answer. You can be sure, however, that we are taking due note of your suggestions!
Morgon a écrit:
I have read through Prologue and it is nice to see that the pre-gen characters are tied into the story. Well, this is a double-edged sword, IMHO. One it is satisfying if I am playing with those chars, however it's really a disincentive to create original chars, or at the very least turning me off from wanting to start playing Esteren with my group before the full campaign is released in English (which won't be this year, right?).
To offset this, maybe, it would be nice to make a list of general background traits / or plot traits that could be given to player created characters. For a nice example of how to do this, have a look at the WFRP campaign 'The Enemy Within'. In the FFG re-make of THE classic FRP campaign, they created a set of background options that tie each character into the longterm plots of the campaign without giving anything away beforehand, and it works for both pre-gens and homebrew characters. Perfect. If you are interested I could explain this in a little more detail.
Then worry no more my good friend, because this is precisely what we have been doing with Dearg (the official campaign): each one of the pre-gen Characters has core background traits that can be given to another, Player-made Character so that even a fully original Character can be among the protagonists of the Campaign... provided some conditions are met.
There will be a "How-to?" in Dearg to indicate how this can be done, so as you can see, we've been taking that into account! Therefore, no reason to hold your PCs back from creating their own Characters.
I've lead quite a few groups through lengthy campaigns. The better ones always had a strongly defined homebase or starting point. Like a starting village with iconic NPCs and a set of introductory (low danger) mini-adventures to really emotionally tie them to this starting point. It will really help to give players motiviation to go on all these gruesome adventures later on, if you can remind them for whom they go through all this sacrifice after all. Think of the function The Shire has for the Hobbits in the Lord of the Rings.
Yup, that's precisely how it's going to be: the village - as the title of the Campaign Book indicates - is Dearg, and the mini-adventures can be found in the Prologue book.
So some nice items would be:
- Map of home region / village (always nice to have a player and leader version)
- Handout style images of main home village NPCs (so that they can be strongly established)
- some impressive handout images of the main sights of the starting region (not just in a book, but as little handouts)
Duly noted! I'll make sure that these ideas are at least acknowledged... and after all, maybe we had them even before you suggested them; who knows?
So important items for a starting leader would be:
- Introductory adventures that impart basic setting lessons, impart the feeling and rules of the world without being all too dangerous. Prologue is nice, but I think somethink with a little less threat would be nice, something that allows the group to form without already putting the pressure on strongly.
- maybe a one sheet reference with a mini-map and glossary of terms for the players, so the leader doesn't always need to explain the difference between Demorthen and Demothaire (sp?).
- a player in-game map is always forgotten! Don't get me wrong your maps are nice! But actual characters in the rural regions of the peninsula would have access to only very crude representations of the world around them ... an ingame map (with lots of wrong information even maybe) would be awesome to hand out.
- images for the key places of adventures are always nice to establish the scene
- any kind of hand-outs are always VERY welcome. Players love them!
- maybe a downloadable mapping style for Campaign Cartographer 3 (other programs) so that more people can create beautiful maps more easily.
Wow, isn't that a lot! Well, as I said, new ideas are always welcome, so thank you for these ones, and keep'em coming!
Finally maybe some items that speed up actual play, and help keep player's noses out of the books and their minds focused on the roleplaying instead of the roll-playing:
- key rules summary play aid
- a combat action / flow chart
- example guide for portraying the various ways (high vs. low combativeness for example)
Why good sir, that's precisely what we've done! Indeed, the system is actually very simple, and usually, the Character Sheet is enough for the Players to remember how the system works... except for more complex in-depth rules like Demorthèn powers or Flux extraction.
From my own experience, after one or two sessions tops, the Players know how things go, so I don't think such reminders are necessary. It's an idea though, so like the rest, it'll be taken into consideration.
Hmm, these are my top-of-mind ideas, maybe I can come up with more.
What do you think?
As I said, keep'em coming! I can't promise that I (or another member) will give detailed answers to all of your suggestions, but this thread is what helps us devise good Kickstarters, so we make sure to take a look at it every now and then.
Looking forward to what you come up with. I'm really excited about the tone and setting of Esteren. Thank you for sharing your dream with us
And thank you for keepin this dream alive!
Kromke a écrit:
Printed artwork in "map size" (40x60 cm) would be great as add-on buys. Sold in rolls not folded. I want them framed on the wall
Ha ha, now that would be grand, wouldn't it? As with Morgon's suggestions, we'll see what can be done.