Book 0 - Prologue

Here is where everything begins...
Introductions, questions, looking for players, the Esteren Tour, event announcements, contests...
Clovis
Traducteur

Re: Book 0 - Prologue

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 10 oct. 2012, 16:56

Hey WoeRie; glad you like Book 0; I worked on that one too, and each one of the series' books partly feel like my little babies, so it's always a pleasure (and a great relief too) to know that people are definitely not disappointed by the result.

Currently, I am working on Book 2, so that it may be available as soon as possible!

The question raised regarding the name caught my attention: does "Journeys" really feels more adequate that "Travels"? I know "Journeys" is grander, but in my opinion, it describes a very long and arduous trip from one location to another, kinda quest-like; whereas "Travels" has more of a "going here and there" feel to it, which I think is more fitting for Esteren's setting.

Feel free to give your opinion on the subject; it's always good to have feedback from the community!
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

Daïn

•    
  • Citation

Message par Daïn » 10 oct. 2012, 17:42

Being not a english native, my vision may not grasp all the subtlety of the word "journey" but as I see it, "journey" has an added component of experience.
The well known sentence "The journey is more important than the destination" explains everything.

Book2 is more about geography, cities, NPC and so forth rather than experiencing the difference of cultures and the like, from the PC point of vue.

So, in my opinion, the authors are right to call Book2: Travels !
For what's worth my opinion 8-)
- Ultimate horror often paralyses memory in a merciful way.

Dragoslav

•    
  • Citation

Message par Dragoslav » 11 oct. 2012, 17:15

My Loch Varn PDF showed up in my inbox today. Looks horrifying! (in a good way, of course)

JohnK

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 11 oct. 2012, 19:16

Hullo, Clovis,
Clovis a écrit : Hey WoeRie; glad you like Book 0; I worked on that one too, and each one of the series' books partly feel like my little babies, so it's always a pleasure (and a great relief too) to know that people are definitely not disappointed by the result.
I know what you mean here. This is how I feel, to some extent, with every book that I edit and/or proof-edit. :)
Clovis a écrit : Currently, I am working on Book 2, so that it may be available as soon as possible!
Thank Goddess for that, Clovis! Arthus had me worried about the publishing of Book 2 in English! Good to hear it's going to be available. ::heart starts again!::
Clovis a écrit : The question raised regarding the name caught my attention: does "Journeys" really feels more adequate that "Travels"? I know "Journeys" is grander, but in my opinion, it describes a very long and arduous trip from one location to another, kinda quest-like; whereas "Travels" has more of a "going here and there" feel to it, which I think is more fitting for Esteren's setting.

Feel free to give your opinion on the subject; it's always good to have feedback from the community!
To be honest, I've been giving this a lot of thought since the idea came up, and actually checked the definitions in the Oxford English Dictionary (OED). When it comes right down to it, based on what (little) I know about the book at this point, I think "Travels" is the right title for it, not "Journeys".

That said, I will just be content to see the release of the English version of this book! :)
Cheers!

...I'm new to the boards and to Shadows of Esteren, so please be kind to me.

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

JohnK

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 11 oct. 2012, 19:20

Hullo, Daïn,
Daïn a écrit : Being not a english native, my vision may not grasp all the subtlety of the word "journey" but as I see it, "journey" has an added component of experience.
I'm actually inclined to agree with you about this. Especially having done some research on the two words. :)
Daïn a écrit : The well known sentence "The journey is more important than the destination" explains everything.
And don't forget the other expression, "Travel broadens the mind". :)
Daïn a écrit : Book2 is more about geography, cities, NPC and so forth rather than experiencing the difference of cultures and the like, from the PC point of view.
See, that was something that I didn't really know about Livre 2 - Voyages...
Daïn a écrit : So, in my opinion, the authors are right to call Book2: Travels !
For what's worth my opinion 8-)
...and I now agree with you on this. :)
Cheers!

JohnK

Dragoslav

•    
  • Citation

Message par Dragoslav » 11 oct. 2012, 21:34

Clovis a écrit : The question raised regarding the name caught my attention: does "Journeys" really feels more adequate that "Travels"? I know "Journeys" is grander, but in my opinion, it describes a very long and arduous trip from one location to another, kinda quest-like; whereas "Travels" has more of a "going here and there" feel to it, which I think is more fitting for Esteren's setting.
Like the others, while I initially preferred "Journeys" to "Travels," I think "Travels" would fit better for what the book apparently has in it (geographical specifics and cultural details).

That said, I think the idea of a "journey" is highly befitting the setting of Esteren in general -- I would definitely describe traveling from one kingdom to another as "very long and arduous," based on what I've been reading in Book 1! :D

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 11 oct. 2012, 23:57

JohnK a écrit :Thank Goddess for that, Clovis! Arthus had me worried about the publishing of Book 2 in English! Good to hear it's going to be available. ::heart starts again!::
Well Arthus is a misleading vilain, and he will certainly be expelled from the forum for such slander... or maybe it's just an idle threat. Probably the latter.

It seems that in the end, "Travels" seems to fit the purpose of the book compared to "Journeys". After all, it is true that SoE has a quite prosaic and down-to-earth setting; another reason to chose something not to heroic-sounding. However, rest assured that it will still give you elements to strike fear into the heart of your players!

*Evil laughter*
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

Zoetrope

•    
  • Citation

Message par Zoetrope » 12 oct. 2012, 12:41

Clovis a écrit :It seems that in the end, "Travels" seems to fit the purpose of the book compared to "Journeys". After all, it is true that SoE has a quite prosaic and down-to-earth setting; another reason to chose something not to heroic-sounding. However, rest assured that it will still give you elements to strike fear into the heart of your players!
I just think 'Journeys' sounds better than 'Travels' but I bow to popular opinion (and the OED!).

At the end of the day, so long as the book gets translated eventually, I don't really care what it's called! :D Glad to hear there are plans to bring it out at some point in the future.

Cheers,
Z

JohnK

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 12 oct. 2012, 13:42

Hullo, Dragoslav,
Dragoslav a écrit :My Loch Varn PDF showed up in my inbox today. Looks horrifying! (in a good way, of course)
That's right, rub it in... *sigh* :)
Cheers!

JohnK

JohnK

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 12 oct. 2012, 13:44

Hullo, Clovis,
Clovis a écrit :
JohnK a écrit : Thank Goddess for that, Clovis! Arthus had me worried about the publishing of Book 2 in English! Good to hear it's going to be available. ::heart starts again!::
Well Arthus is a misleading vilain, and he will certainly be expelled from the forum for such slander... or maybe it's just an idle threat. Probably the latter.
Aha! So now we know the truth about that rascal, eh? :)
Clovis a écrit : It seems that in the end, "Travels" seems to fit the purpose of the book compared to "Journeys". After all, it is true that SoE has a quite prosaic and down-to-earth setting; another reason to chose something not to heroic-sounding. However, rest assured that it will still give you elements to strike fear into the heart of your players!

*Evil laughter*
I should hope so, mon ami! :) And, I am, when all is said and done, just looking forward to this book in the English line of Shadows of Esteren. After Book 0 - Prologue, of course. :)
Cheers!

JohnK

Répondre