Introduction of the Members

Here is where everything begins...
Introductions, questions, looking for players, the Esteren Tour, event announcements, contests...
Répondre
Elenyl Forgelune
Auteur

Re: Introduction of the Members

•    
  • Citation

Message par Elenyl Forgelune » 03 févr. 2014, 19:44

Ahab a écrit : let me say, that this is the best translation I've seen so far. I played Agone for a while, which is also translated from French to English, and after I read Esteren, I thought Agone wasn't half as well translated like you did. Same with Kult from 7ième Circle. So cudos on that. :!:
Yeahhh ! Clovis rules !!!

Thanks for this Ahab, Clovis and his team have made a huge work of translation, and it's always great to see that english native speakers find it so excellent !

Elenyl, big up...
Nous sommes des passionnés, bossant pour notre plaisir et pour le votre, dès que la vie nous en laisse le temps.
Ne nous demandez pas de faire vite, nous préférons essayer de faire bien...
Vaille que vaille !!!

Ahab

•    
  • Citation

Message par Ahab » 03 févr. 2014, 21:18

Elenyl Forgelune a écrit :... it's always great to see that english native speakers find it so excellent !
I take that as a compliment, but actually I'm not a native speaker. I'm German. :)

I just happen to have been part of the official Pathfinder translation team for Ulisses Games in Germany. Job, marriage and kid left only space for private RPG fun, though. Which is good, I think. In a way. ;)

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 03 févr. 2014, 23:34

Ahab a écrit :
Clovis a écrit :By the way, what does "production values" mean exactly?
To my understanding, it means - much like you said - the overall quality of a game. To me, this consists of
- quality of writing
- fusion of game system and setting
- product quality in terms of physical condition/touchiness/processing of the books
- way of publishing/sequence of books/presentation of the setting
- degree of innovation (e.g. your multimedia approach)
- quick follow-up products (no long waiting times)
- quality of illustrations and continuity thereof
- translation
Oh, so it's not the game itself, but rather how well the team worked on it, and how they answered the Players' expectations. Good to know that we apparently rocked in that regard!
and so on. As I believe, you are foremost responsible for the latter point, let me say, that this is the best translation I've seen so far. I played Agone for a while, which is also translated from French to English, and after I read Esteren, I thought Agone wasn't half as well translated like you did. Same with Kult from 7ième Circle. So cudos on that. :!:
Yaaaaaaay! Thank you very much for the compliment! As you certainly know, translating is easily thankless grunt work (even though I still consider myself very lucky to be the head translator for Esteren), so it's nice to receive such praise.

It's true that the translation of some games (and movies, books, comics, etc.) can feel a bit rushed or clunky. Hence why people would often rather go for the original version instead.
Clovis a écrit :We are well aware of the downsides of putting off the publication of Secrets, but we've made the decision to reveal the game's mysteries little by little, so that each gaming group may experience the discovery progressively.
Got to respect that. Making up my own "big picture" makes the game feel more like it is _mine_, if you get my meaning. I always feel the pressure of maybe not sticking to the canon, when I play in a strictly specific game setting. So that I get something wrong and lack consistency, when e.g. the group comes to the same town a second time, and I suddenly realize, I didn't stick to the books the first time. It's a little neurotic, I guess, but I simply feel more at home, when I come up with much of it myself. So I look forward to incorporating the treasure trove of secrets into _my_ Tri-Kazel. ;)
Oh, I understand how you feel! I'm somewhat like that too, and that's why I'm terrible at running official scenarios: I can't help but want to stick to the plot and directives as closely as possible, which makes the game somewhat slow and awkward.

Anyway, the time of Secrets will come! In the meantime, keep brewing your own Tri-Kazel! ;)
Clovis a écrit :The plot thickens! :D
You bet. This is going to be E.P.I.C.! :D 8-)
Extremely Potent, Innovative and Compelling?
Dernière modification par Clovis le 04 févr. 2014, 17:44, modifié 1 fois.
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

Ahab

•    
  • Citation

Message par Ahab » 04 févr. 2014, 15:33

Clovis a écrit :Good to know that we apparently rocked in that regard!
Looks like it. :)
Yaaaaaaay! Thank you very much for the compliment!
You're welcome. You earned it.
Clovis a écrit :Anyway, the time of Secrets will come! In the meantime, keep brewing your own Tri-Kazel! ;)
Will do. Next gaming session is on Friday (we had to postpone it a little).
Clovis a écrit :Extremely Potent, Innovative and Compelling?
At LEAST, my friend. But maybe also Extremely Pathetic, Incoherent and Crippled. But I hope for the former. :P

Dayson

•    
  • Citation

Message par Dayson » 16 févr. 2014, 01:42

Recently I became curious as to when exactly I began my RPG obsession. It was on December 5, 2004 at a place called the Tower in Exeter NH in America. We played Dungeons and Dragons version 3.5. I was Aramil, an Elven Ranger. When that game broke up I went to my local gaming store and asked the clerk to suggest something. He suggested GURPS version 3.0. I got the book home and started reading excitedly. To be truthful, I thought the game was way too complicated for me at that time. Ironically, I heard about a group playing Classic Traveller online. I say ironically because getting started in Classic Traveller is ,IMHO, way more complicated than GURPS. So, on January 20, 2007 I started playing Ambassador Dayson Brillet in GRiP (Generic Role playing for Internet Players) online with "Maladominus" as my GM. I started my own Classic Traveller campaign in Fantasy Grounds II on June 18, 2011. At the end of that, I started playing SLA Industries with "White Knight" as my GM on April 29, 2012 in EFnet. When that game broke up I started using Savage Worlds as my system of choice on Fantasy Grounds II. Usually "Mask of Winter" was my GM. I still keep in touch with him and we play occasionally. On May 4, 2013 I began my Savage Worlds campaign called, "The Salvage of the U.S.S. Kaine". About a year and a half ago I started going on the chat in the Fantasy Grounds site where I met "saithan" a moderator for the chat. He offered to run me through an intro game in GURPS version 4.0. I have been playing in his GURPS games ever since with two other players. I can state with absolute confidence that the role players with whom I have gamed so far are all outstanding and have a very deep love of the hobby. However, this does not mean that I will not learn any other game systems. I am very excited to learn this game! I have heard nothing but rave reviews for Shadows of Esteren.

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 16 févr. 2014, 03:24

Welcome, Dayson!
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

Old timer

•    
  • Citation

Message par Old timer » 16 févr. 2014, 09:55

Hello Dayson, if i think you are who i think you are, then hello friend (Once known as white knight on the SLA forums) Damm, internet is a small world :).

Dayson

•    
  • Citation

Message par Dayson » 17 févr. 2014, 12:13

Old timer a écrit :Hello Dayson, if i think you are who i think you are, then hello friend (Once known as white knight on the SLA forums) Damn, internet is a small world :).
Hi Noel, Yup it's me Ron. I guess we both like horror in all genres.

Dayson

•    
  • Citation

Message par Dayson » 17 févr. 2014, 12:14

Clovis a écrit :Welcome, Dayson!
Thank you Clovis.

Old timer

•    
  • Citation

Message par Old timer » 17 févr. 2014, 12:49

Hi Noel, Yup it's me Ron. I guess we both like horror in all genres.
Hello Ron, certainly seems that way :)

Répondre