Introduction of the Members

Here is where everything begins...
Introductions, questions, looking for players, the Esteren Tour, event announcements, contests...
Répondre
SnowLeopard

Re: Introduction of the Members

•    
  • Citation

Message par SnowLeopard » 30 sept. 2012, 23:39

Cross-posting from the International forums:

Hello!

I'm Tammy Powers from Ottawa, Canada, a long time player (~20 years now) and frequent play tester. The rpgs that I have been playing lately are: DESOLATION, PRIMEVAL RPG, and BROKEN ROOMS.

My GM (or Game Leader :D ) has been raving about SHADOWS OF ESTEREN. I've been getting updates after he has finished reading each chapter of the book as he gets ready to start the new game. I'm all ready and pumped up to explore the world of Esteren!
:mrgreen:

Iris
Première assistante coordinatrice & auteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Iris » 01 oct. 2012, 07:18

Welcome / Willkommen !

Is it really a pleasure to see so many people, coming from so many countries !

I hope you'll have a good time and find here some answers to your questions,

Iris
Si je ne suis pas là, vous pouvez me trouver ici ou ou par MP.

Nelyhann
Coordinateur général, auteur & illustrateur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Nelyhann » 01 oct. 2012, 09:04

Hi everybody and welcome here :D

It is so great of finding backer from the KS here!

Like Iris I really hope you will have some good time here :)
«Patience et longueur de temps Font plus que force ni que rage.»
Le Lion et le Rat - Jean de la Fontaine

Arthus

•    
  • Citation

Message par Arthus » 01 oct. 2012, 09:10

Welcome welcome! :D

It's really amazing to see here poeple from everywhere! ;)
La sagesse est un chemin ténu et difficile mon fils, et surtout il est sans fin. Il est naturel et salutaire que l'humilité te le rappelle de temps en temps... Mais n'oublie pas que l'humilité est un guide, non un fardeau...

Ravenpolar

•    
  • Citation

Message par Ravenpolar » 01 oct. 2012, 10:46

Hi everyone, I'm Phill from the UK.
I saw SoE on Kickstarter and was just blown away by the artwork and the style of writing so had to pledge. The fact that it was a translation and was pretty close to ready to ship also helped :)

Im a IT project manager by day and a gamer by night, so much so that im the chairman of the local roleplaying games society here in my hometown of Peterborough.
Suffice to say, SoE will be hitting the table at the club as soon as I get a chance to run it.

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 01 oct. 2012, 16:03

Well, I guess I'd better introduce myself as well... although I guess the name should ring a bell for more than one member!

I am Clovis, the translator of Book 1, and long time role-player! I have been involved in the Esteren project for more than two years now, and I hope to keep contributing productively to what has become a very special and unique RPG for me.

As for my professional occupation, I'm currently studying at ESIT (one of the main French universities for translators and interpreters to become a professional translator.

Well, I guess I haven't got much else to say except: let's get along well everybody!
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

Deufr

•    
  • Citation

Message par Deufr » 01 oct. 2012, 17:11

Hello, welcome, Hi !

It's quiet clean here, for the moment :twisted:

AssenG

•    
  • Citation

Message par AssenG » 01 oct. 2012, 20:52

Bonjour, tout le monde!
Je m'appelle Assen... Oh, wait, that was the English forum! Mea culpa, mea culpa maxima!
:twisted:
Ah bien, je recommence!

I'm 31, have a child, and live in Bulgaria. My degrees are in International Relations/Security, and Law. My name is Asen (written Assen on this forum for the convenience of French-speakers, because reading it A-s-a-n has unfortunate implications around here. Hence the double "s", meaning you get to read it right without twisting your brains).
Enough with the stuff that's probably only interesting to me. It's a roleplaying forum, let's talk about roleplaying 8-) !
I've been playing RPGs/JdRs since, 1999, IIRC. My favourite systems are too many to count, but one thing is for sure, D&D isn't one of them. Other than that, my taste in games is pretty universal.
(I mean, I like heavy simulationist systems, like TRoS, GURPS and BRP, and then I also play quite a few indie games with narrativist approaches, like FATE, Apocalypse World and Houses of the Blooded. And I like lightweight systems like Zenobia/43 A.D./Warband, or Lady Blackbird, or Celestial Warriors (which I'm helping the creator to fine-tune).
On other distinctions, I like diceless RPGs like Stalker, which also has a heavy GM role, and I like games with lots of rolling and random result, like Savage Worlds, and I like GMless RPGs like Cosmic Patrol and Vampire City.
If you think by now that putting me in any given camp of players is hard, you're right. That's because I don't hold to any single style of gaming, but try to give any game a chance to do what it's best at, from an old-school game like Dragon Warriors, to the modern ones like Enemy Heroes, Wushu and Eclipse Phase.
To be honest, I find it more fun that way :mrgreen: ).
Now, that was about systems. There are some things I dislike about games and try to avoud during discussions about games. The Rule Zero Fallacy is probably the main one, followed by the Argumentum ad Fireballum fallacy. Railroading, illusionism and fudging dice rolls are GMing tricks that are of no use to me whatsoever, since I'd much rather have a total party kill then use any of those when I'm the Game Leader/Referee/Wulin Sage/Seneschal/GM/MdJ. Also, I consider them reason enough to walk out of a game as a player, which makes me quite unpopular with some GMs around here. To me, it's a good thing. It frees my time for playing with people that at least don't have an incompatible playstyle.
After all those years, I still can't get why some people first ask where are the dungeons when introduced to a new setting. No doubt, that is due to a slight flaw in my own character!

I read about Esteren on RPG.net, where I'm more known as Asen_G. After asking some questions in one of the threads, I decided it's interesting enough, and backed up the Kickstarter. Since it ended, I've been reading the setting and system.
Due to some real life events, I'm not gobbling it as I usually do with books, but that's not because I'm not enjoying either!

Dragoslav

•    
  • Citation

Message par Dragoslav » 02 oct. 2012, 02:24

Hello, all.

My name's Taylor, from the American Midwest. I've been a lover of RPGs since childhood, but I didn't get involved with pen-and-paper RPGs until a couple of years ago. My first tabletop gaming experience was with D&D 4th Edition, but before that I had many years of experience with the best cRPGs such as Fallout 1 & 2 and d20-based games such as Knights of the Old Republic and Neverwinter Nights, so I took to tabletop gaming like a fish to water.

Even though I'm a graduate student, I make time to enjoy my hobbies, especially pen-and-paper RPGs, which I had always wanted to play but never had an opportunity to do so. Aside from that, I enjoy video games, heavy metal, writing fiction, and Russian literature, in no particular order.
When I discovered the Shadows of Esteren Kickstarter campaign, I was instantly sold on the idea of a Gothic horror-inspired game with a heavy focus on character personality (especially madness). While I love D&D 4th Edition with its flashy combat powers, I am equally entranced by the atmosphere that's evident even in simply reading the Shadows of Esteren book: The artwork is astonishing, and the writing really draws you into the setting and mood.
I'm going to try convincing my D&D group to give this game a shot, and hopefully go beyond a one-shot session into a full campaign. I've only been in the role of a GM on a handful of isolated occasions, but Shadows of Esteren's atmosphere and focus on characters' psychology has really inspired me to give it a shot.

Looking forward to discussing more about the game!

Glass

•    
  • Citation

Message par Glass » 02 oct. 2012, 03:47

Welcome everybody.
It's great to see more and more people coming to the message board!

I'm a French player and I recently moved to the US.
I live in Topeka, KS. So if anybody happens to be from the area, feel free to contact me. ;)
I'll gladly meet you to chat and/or play.
"Ne t'en inquiète pas, jeune savant, il est parfois préférable que certaines énigmes demeurent..."

Répondre