Preparing a new campaign, need advise.

Here is where everything begins...
Introductions, questions, looking for players, the Esteren Tour, event announcements, contests...
Répondre
Ocule

Preparing a new campaign, need advise.

•    
  • Citation

Message par Ocule » 24 août 2017, 12:36

So I am getting ready to run Dearg Volume 1 with my players of which we have five. I was looking for advise on running this campaign and what scenarios to start with from the scenarios and canvases released so far.

Little bit about the party, we are doing character generation this weekend as a party I am going to walk them through it. Some of our party prefers the action/adventure aspect of the game, most of them enjoy roleplaying and love the Celtic themes of the game. 3/4 of them are veteran roleplayers and we have two people who have played D&D and that is all.

So I was thinking to either start with the prologue scenarios, monestary of tuath or Tiny House. So which one of those would be a good starting platform and does Dearg allow for inserting these scenarios during the main campaign?

Anything I should prepare for ahead of time with the characters. I was thinking about putting off narrative arcs until we are about to begin the main campaign since I will be the only one familiar with the setting until then.

Clovis
Traducteur

Re: Preparing a new campaign, need advise.

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 01 sept. 2017, 02:40

Glad to learn that you're starting a new campaign. I hope that you and your players will enjoy yourselves.

Concerning what to start with, I'd definitely say that the scenarios of Book 0 - Prologue are the way to go. This way, you can ease your Players into the world with these initial scenarios. Depending on how confident you feel with your GMing skills and your players' reactions, I'd advise you to either start with Loch Varn or keep it for last. Your call.
does Dearg allow for inserting these scenarios during the main campaign?
The Prologue scenarios were specifically designed to come before the main campaign, so as to introduce the atmosphere and setting. Then, if everything has gone well, you can proceed with the campaign. Dearg includes all the necessary steps and advice in that regard.
Anything I should prepare for ahead of time with the characters. I was thinking about putting off narrative arcs until we are about to begin the main campaign since I will be the only one familiar with the setting until then.
That's what I'd say too. Start with the Prologue scenarios to keep things simple, then, if everyone is on board, you can go on with the campaign.

I hope that helped!
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

Ocule

•    
  • Citation

Message par Ocule » 04 sept. 2017, 04:24

Thanks, So i was trying to read http://ombresdesteren.blogspot.fr/2014/ ... arios.html for help, of course i don't actually speak French so i use google translate. Though the more I frequent the resources of this site, the more i am able to decipher it when reading. More like breaking a code then reading a language. Anyway,

I am a little confused on the suggestion of when to run Dearg campaign of the cycles proposed. I do plan on trying to make it my own, but it feels a little unclear exactly how it is suggested to run Dearg.

So my interpretation thus far is to start with the prologue book 0.

1) Loch Varn: Just finished running this

2) Disappearances: Filler to showcase the journey, but seems easily insertable anywhere in the valley. So looks like i can insert it later if i cant justify it now.

3) Poison - Takes place in melwan i believe, simple enough

4) Dearg 1 - Sandbox in Dearg a little bit letting them meet and explore the vale, also run the first Focus from what i gather from the beta Dearg copy it focuses on the first character's backstory, a unique adventure. I imagine also allowing those quest hooks present?

5) Autumn Red - still continuing using Dearg for information on the vale and dropping plot hooks or side quests

6) Avenging Words - from monestary of tuath

7) Continue with Dearg

At this point finish running the scenarios presented in Dearg. If i read it correctly all this takes place in winter of 907, essentially trapping them in the valley. After they finish these scenarios the road opens up and they are hired to guide a shipment of ore to kalvernach and explore the rest of the world running the scenarios from the other supplements. Such as occultism and travels.

Is this correct?

Evolena

•    
  • Citation

Message par Evolena » 04 sept. 2017, 07:53

Ocule a écrit :If i read it correctly all this takes place in winter of 907, essentially trapping them in the valley.
In fact, the more important "checkpoints" are the Dearg campaign in winter 907, and Red Fall in autumn 907. Avenging Words is set in autumn or winter, so it is ok. It could be before Red Fall if you prefer so.
However the others are less directives on the season. Loch Varn and Poison are probably better set in 907, but it could be in spring or summer, if it better suits your plans.
(Avatar par Gawain)

Nelyhann
Coordinateur général, auteur & illustrateur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Nelyhann » 04 sept. 2017, 08:58

Ocule, the post on the blog you are talking about is an example. Indeed, you can link each scenarios to build te campagne, to go deeper. For exemple, in the Monastery of Tuath, some characters will become important in the second part of the campaign. Let's talk about that in the game master section to avoid spoilers here :)

Anyway, about the narrative arcs, the sooner you talk about them to your players, the easier it will be. You do not need to use them right away, but to explain them the core mechanics : each character will choose a main narrative arc for the campaign. This way, they can take this into acocunt in their first session.

Enjoy :D
«Patience et longueur de temps Font plus que force ni que rage.»
Le Lion et le Rat - Jean de la Fontaine

Répondre