Pondering on using SoE with youth group

Here is where everything begins...
Introductions, questions, looking for players, the Esteren Tour, event announcements, contests...
Répondre
kjetilkverndokken

Pondering on using SoE with youth group

•    
  • Citation

Message par kjetilkverndokken » 28 août 2014, 08:53

Hi, I am planning to start up an youth group for roleplaying (ages 10-18).
My original plan were using Savage Worlds and a Fantasy setting, but now I am considering using SoE.
It would of course be accomedated for the general age of the group when it is finally assembeled.
And as SoE is so open and varid one does not have to focus on huge dark stuff, but also lighter and smaller things :-).
I feel that this rich setting would be an advantage for creativity and enjoyment for such a group.

What thoughts do you have for that and any suggestions?

Clovis
Traducteur

Re: Pondering on using SoE with youth group

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 28 août 2014, 15:02

I would've started with mentioning that since SoE is initially intended for a mature audience, you should be careful with how you use the setting, but you already seem quite aware of that!

As you said, you can focus on lighter aspects of the universe, such as the picturesque setting, the investigation, the mysteries, etc.

My advice would be to start small and simple, and see where that takes you and your group. For example, you can make them inhabitants of your run-of-the-mill village, and the Ansailéir can ask them to take supplies to a nearby watchtower. On their way, a storm unexpectedly starts, and they have to find shelter to survive. Or they can be tasked with finding out why animals in the region have been abnormally aggressive lately (A tainted Demorthèn Cinthareid? A vengeful Morcail? A Magientist artifact?).

Then, as they go through these introduction scenarios, and according to their reactions and behavior, you can pick up and go for more mature, complex scenarios, maybe using the official ones.
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

Arthus

•    
  • Citation

Message par Arthus » 28 août 2014, 15:36

The same as Clovis.

Furthermore, I suggest not to use the mental health system, which complexifies and darkens the game.

PS : excuse my bad english!
La sagesse est un chemin ténu et difficile mon fils, et surtout il est sans fin. Il est naturel et salutaire que l'humilité te le rappelle de temps en temps... Mais n'oublie pas que l'humilité est un guide, non un fardeau...

kjetilkverndokken

•    
  • Citation

Message par kjetilkverndokken » 28 août 2014, 16:09

Seems like you are on the same bandwidth with my thoughts.

I have worked with children before - and know how mature themes they can handle (much higher then most adults think).
But yes, the mental system I will probably use much more seldom and instead have it as a more pure fear mechanic.

But mysteries, investigation smaller magical fey/fae creatures and human/mundane problems and intrigues will probably be what I will focus on.

bandits, rabid bear attacking the village. Chiefs having arguments, lovers in hiding, initiation into the Arts/Demorthen Mysteries and so forth. Maybe have the focus on one region, and maybe there is a central feondas there that will always be in the background as the campaign goes on, and they may face of with when the players and characters have become older.

I think I also want to have the characters as younger, maybe more along the age they themselves are or maybe a couple of years older

Deorman

•    
  • Citation

Message par Deorman » 28 août 2014, 16:26

I'm usually very crude in my description of the game so I don't think I would masterize for young peoples but there's a big différence between 10 and 18.
"La prochaine fois essayez de mourir plus dans le cadre de notre stratégie"

Arthus

•    
  • Citation

Message par Arthus » 28 août 2014, 16:41

kjetilkverndokken a écrit : I think I also want to have the characters as younger, maybe more along the age they themselves are or maybe a couple of years older
Maybe ask to your (young) players what they like : I remember when I was young, my dream was to play a knight, an adventurer and so on (I was raised up with warhammer battle and the books which you are the hero like Lonewolf), and not a harmless boy.
La sagesse est un chemin ténu et difficile mon fils, et surtout il est sans fin. Il est naturel et salutaire que l'humilité te le rappelle de temps en temps... Mais n'oublie pas que l'humilité est un guide, non un fardeau...

kjetilkverndokken

•    
  • Citation

Message par kjetilkverndokken » 28 août 2014, 18:49

I've not gathered up the players yet - only just made the information available to the local community that in November, the rpg youth club will be starting.

I will let them be whoever they want within a certain framwerk. if someone wants to be a knight, why yes, A Squire is a good start.
of course they will not be mud flinging peasants :-p.

myself and another over here actually couch in gamemastering and GM methods - and believe me, how awesome adventures can be as just the average Joes - those have been the best ones :).
But, SoE is a special beast I want to try for youths as it gives another feeling, and have quite a nice setting to use.

BUT - I am not 100% certain yet if I am going to use SoE or not. It is only an idea I am playing with atm.

but can reveal that I will be hosting SoE Larp (Live actuion roleplaying - nordic style) in the summer of 2015 ;)

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 28 août 2014, 22:45

kjetilkverndokken a écrit :I will let them be whoever they want within a certain framwerk. if someone wants to be a knight, why yes, A Squire is a good start.
of course they will not be mud flinging peasants :-p.
Then again, having them play as ordinary people could be a good start to show them that you don't have to play as knights, nobles, or magicians to be a great guy and achieve important things!
but can reveal that I will be hosting SoE Larp (Live actuion roleplaying - nordic style) in the summer of 2015 ;)
Oooh, you have to tell us more about that too!
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

Arthus

•    
  • Citation

Message par Arthus » 29 août 2014, 12:14

I agree with you, but what I wanted to say was that when I played at Lone Wolf, I imagined that Lone Wolf was 18-20 years old, and not 10-12 like me. ;)

So don't hesitate to let them play young adults instead of children if they want to.

And I agree with Clovis over the SOE larp... It sounds amazing! :shock:

Répondre