Character Creation advice

Here is where everything begins...
Introductions, questions, looking for players, the Esteren Tour, event announcements, contests...
tacoverse

Character Creation advice

•    
  • Citation

Message par tacoverse » 15 janv. 2014, 04:24

Hello, I am new to the forum and to the game . I will be beginning my first session as a PC a week from now and i am very excited to do so. After finishing Book 1 today, I decided to mess around with character creation a bit. Let me tell you what I aim for, A knowledgeable Vitalist Magientist (apprentice?), who can also excel in Ranged Combat, and handle close combat (as a last resort), I want to be useful, I just don't want to sit on the back burner in a fight. I am seeking advice on an initial build and rating my "Ways" (note: I am permitted to rate my "ways" in any fashion as long they equal a sum of 15, and include a 1 or a 5). also taking into account advantages (spending experience between 100-180). Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! :D

Valenae

Re: Character Creation advice

•    
  • Citation

Message par Valenae » 15 janv. 2014, 14:35

You can easily max ranged, meele cobat and magientice from start.

So you like to put 5 and 4 in combativetness and Reason.

This is all build.

:)

You can create character step by step as descriebed in Book I.
Just choose what you want in time and spend exp to choosen Domains.
The Leader should not hesitate to slaughter the PCs at the slightest mistake in order to instil a heavy, horrific atmosphere

Для всех русскоговорящих игроков и ведущих - русский сайт Эстерина "вконтакте":
http://vk.com/club42561184

Nelyhann
Coordinateur général, auteur & illustrateur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Nelyhann » 15 janv. 2014, 15:23

Welcome tacoverse :)

you can also check this here to help you build your character : http://esteren.org/shadows_of_esteren/d ... y_Crix.pdf
«Patience et longueur de temps Font plus que force ni que rage.»
Le Lion et le Rat - Jean de la Fontaine

Caitlin
Localisation : 77, Mitry Mory / 92, Levallois Peret / 94, Fontenay sous bois

•    
  • Citation

Message par Caitlin » 15 janv. 2014, 17:08

Hello tacoverse,

You can create your own character with this tool also : http://jdr.pierstoval.com/esteren/
Or just be inspirated by some already created characters :)
(tool created by one member of the Esteren team : Pierstoval)

It's not yet 100% translated, but maybe you're familiar with french, or maybe it's time to start learning it ;)
Allons-y !

WoeRie

•    
  • Citation

Message par WoeRie » 15 janv. 2014, 20:26

I would set your ways like this:

5 Reason
=> Main way for your Magience/Science skills.

4 Combativeness
=> You want to be able to fight... so go for it

2 Creativity
=> Min value to get a Potential of 2, which helps you in fighting, else it is ok for Crafts.

3 Empathy
=> Bonus to some Domains and improves your Speed and Defense value (important for fights).

1 Conviction
=> Setting this to 1 gives you in the above constellation 0 Traumas, but it leaves you with quite a bad Mental Resistance roll.

You could also use:
2 Empathy
2 Conviction
=> This will give you a slightly increased Mental Resistance, but also 1 Trauma.

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 15 janv. 2014, 22:45

Honestly, my recommendation would simply be: follow the creation process and just pick whatever you deem fit for your Character. Him being a Magientist does not necessarily mean that he must have a high rating in Reason. He can be very inventive (high Creativity) and passionate (high Combativeness), but have problem focusing and keeping track of things (low Reason). Of course, this will make him less efficient, as far as gameplay goes, but in my opinion, what's more important is to have a life-like Character you can enjoy playing.

Of course, by investing your stats craftily, you can make a space marine-like Magientist, but where would be the fun in that?
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

WoeRie

•    
  • Citation

Message par WoeRie » 16 janv. 2014, 00:53

Clovis a écrit : Of course, by investing your stats craftily, you can make a space marine-like Magientist, but where would be the fun in that?
But on the other hand, why shouldn't that be fun playing?

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 16 janv. 2014, 13:18

A fair point. I'd personally rather avoid things like power playing, but I can understand that such Characters can be oodles of fun to play. To each gaming group their own!
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

tacoverse

•    
  • Citation

Message par tacoverse » 16 janv. 2014, 23:48

Thanks Guys/Gals, I definitely appreciate the replies!

WoeRie

•    
  • Citation

Message par WoeRie » 17 janv. 2014, 07:43

Clovis a écrit :A fair point. I'd personally rather avoid things like power playing, but I can understand that such Characters can be oodles of fun to play. To each gaming group their own!
I don't think it is a group issue, but a Player issue. I have 5 Players (2 women, 3 men)in my regular Group (currently we Play RuneQuest and Cthulhu, but we ill try SoE soon). My wife is NEVER interested to be "powerful", 3 are quite standard and one is THE perfect archetype of a MinMaxer. Of course in most parts he is better than the others, but during game Play you see nearly no differences. I mean it doesn't matter. if you fumble your Sanity Check in Cthulhu your are lost regardless of being a MinMaxer or not.

Oh, and BTW, though he is a MinMaxer he is still a great Roleplayer and I love to Play with him! So, being a MinMaxer does not mean you are a bad roleplayer.

Répondre