Which disciplines are required in order to make an attempt?

Questions and discussions about the game system.
Répondre
Gully

Which disciplines are required in order to make an attempt?

•    
  • Citation

Message par Gully » 03 déc. 2012, 07:58

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has made a list of those skills/discipline that must be trained in order to make a roll. In other words you cannot attempt the action using just the way or the the non disciplined skill.

For example: Do you have to have Hypnosis trained in order to try to cure someone using it or can you just have a couple points in Occult?

If I'm not mistaking you must have the discipline, Sigil Rann, (and the stones) in order to use magic, not just the Demorthèn Mysteries skill. Is there a list?

Thanks!

Gully

Clovis
Traducteur

Re: Which disciplines are required in order to make an attem

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 03 déc. 2012, 13:49

Hello Gully.

From what I know, no such list has been made so far, whether by the designers of the official series, or by fans. Maybe this could be the opportunity to make one and share it with the community!

Regarding Hypnosis, I don't think it's written anywhere in Book 1, but I'd say the Discipline is necessary; as is Sigil Rann to use Demorthèn magic (which makes it a Discipline often taken by Players right at Character Creation!)

Now, to answer your "Discipline or not Discipline" question more broadly, I'd say it all depends on how much specialization the attempted action requires exactly. For example, even someone with only a few points in Performance can strum a few chords on a lute, while a mere 3 in Craft won't be enough to make use of a Driller-hammerer, even with some points in Magience, since we're really dealing with something complicated and specific here.

Does that answer your questions?
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

Gully

•    
  • Citation

Message par Gully » 03 déc. 2012, 19:20

That does help, thank you Clovis.

It seems the distinction that it comes down to is between those disciplines that are a natural refining or out growth of the core skill (weapon training), and those that the core skill is a foundation but the discipline is actually something dramatically different.

I was hoping there had been some consensus on which are the latter, but I hope a quick perusal will make a short list possible.

I'll post it here for comments when I get through it ...

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 03 déc. 2012, 23:01

That's the general idea, yeah. Throwing a punch does not require the Unarmed Fighting Discipline, but knowing about the complex and subtle mechanisms of a man's thought process does require the Mind Treatment Discipline.

Don't hesitate to ask for advice if you're not sure!
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

tamsyn

•    
  • Citation

Message par tamsyn » 05 déc. 2012, 19:23

Our house rule is that if something requires a book to learn or a teacher to show you how you can't make the roll. If you could intuitively work it out then you can.
@xtamsynx

Book 1 Farl Collector
Book 2 Farl Collector
MOT Tri-Kazelian

Gully

•    
  • Citation

Message par Gully » 07 déc. 2012, 05:41

Thanks Tamsyn .. thats a good rule of thumb. I am going to try to put together something more concrete when I have a little more time.

Répondre