Testing Faults

Questions and discussions about the game system.
Répondre
JohnK

Testing Faults

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 02 oct. 2012, 19:57

Hullo, folks,

On pages 234-235 of the English version of the rulebook, the mechanics of Tests and the Five Faults are provided. I understand how the game mechanics work and when they're to be used, but... I notice on the third page of the character sheet that there is a section for the Faults, and something is meant to go there. So, what is meant to go in that section of the character sheet?

Thanks, in advance. :)
Cheers!

...I'm new to the boards and to Shadows of Esteren, so please be kind to me.

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

iznurda

Re: Testing Faults

•    
  • Citation

Message par iznurda » 02 oct. 2012, 22:24

Well as explain in the inset p 234 : "interpret faults", you write here the way the character will manifest each fault. It's optionnal, more roleplay, but gives additional substance to the character.
Example : with a 1 in combativeness the personage can be prudent or coward. With 1 in empathy he can be cruel, insensitive or he just don't pay care. In the opposite, with 5 in reason the fault can be obstinate or obtuse.

The best method I think is to associate each ways with two words : one describing the natural tendency (the way score), the other the character's opposite attitude (the fault).

I don't know if I speak clearly, I lack the vocabulary to explain it better.

iz

Dragoslav

•    
  • Citation

Message par Dragoslav » 02 oct. 2012, 23:20

I think the "Faults" section on the character sheet is just where players write their score in each of the Faults, as they do with the section for Ways on the first page. So a character with 5 Combativeness (written on page 1 of the sheet) will have a 5 Passion (written on page 3).

It probably would have saved space if they had put the Ways/Faults into one section on one page, but maybe they put it on page 3 with the "Sanity" and "Personality" sections so players can see at a glance what their character's overall personality is, while the Ways need to be on the first page because those numbers are some of the most important in the game and need to be at the top.

JohnK

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 02 oct. 2012, 23:24

Hullo, Iz,
iznurda a écrit : Well as explain in the inset p 234 : "interpret faults", you write here the way the character will manifest each fault. It's optionnal, more roleplay, but gives additional substance to the character.
Oh, dear... Une erreur stupide de ma part, et d'une question assez stupide quand il descend à lui. :) It should have been obvious to me that the way the Fault is manifested should go into the space provided on the character sheet. *sigh*
iznurda a écrit : Example : with a 1 in combativeness the personage can be prudent or coward. With 1 in empathy he can be cruel, insensitive or he just don't pay care. In the opposite, with 5 in reason the fault can be obstinate or obtuse.
Thanks for those. Good examples. :)
iznurda a écrit : The best method I think is to associate each ways with two words : one describing the natural tendency (the way score), the other the character's opposite attitude (the fault).
That's as good a way of putting it, I think. :)
iznurda a écrit : I don't know if I speak clearly, I lack the vocabulary to explain it better.
You did fine. :)
Cheers!

JohnK

JohnK

•    
  • Citation

Message par JohnK » 02 oct. 2012, 23:28

Hullo, Dragonslav,
Dragoslav a écrit :I think the "Faults" section on the character sheet is just where players write their score in each of the Faults, as they do with the section for Ways on the first page. So a character with 5 Combativeness (written on page 1 of the sheet) will have a 5 Passion (written on page 3).
It doesn't actually appear that one has a rating or numerical value in the Fault of each type, as the bottom of page 234 shows the formula uses the Way rating, not any Fault value. I'm inclined to agree with Iz in this case on what goes there, but I suppose the player could put the Way rating in there as well.
Dragoslav a écrit : It probably would have saved space if they had put the Ways/Faults into one section on one page, but maybe they put it on page 3 with the "Sanity" and "Personality" sections so players can see at a glance what their character's overall personality is, while the Ways need to be on the first page because those numbers are some of the most important in the game and need to be at the top.
That's pretty much what I'm thinking on the rationale for putting the Ways and Faults on separate pages, and it makes sense to put the Faults with the Sanity and Personality aspect sections.
Cheers!

JohnK

Répondre