Bloodborne in Esteren?

Discussions around the universe of Esteren and its English series of books.
Répondre
Alfndrate

Bloodborne in Esteren?

•    
  • Citation

Message par Alfndrate » 09 nov. 2015, 17:47

Good day everyone!

I'm a GM that's running a small Esteren game once a week. My group has just finished the Poison scenario in Book 0, and I'm thinking of where I can take them now.

Eventually I'd like to run them through a large scenario that covers the large points of Bloodborne (a game on the PS4 by the creators of Dark Souls).

The problem I'm having.is adapting it to Esteren I need some help in this matter from you kind folks.
1) A large city with Gothic buildings far away from the major cities. Currently I'm thinking Farl, far to the north in Reizh.
2) Blood healing is a major plot point in the game, and I'm thinking that a wayward church has developed a way to mix "highly refined animal flux" with healing magics from either the Demorthean arts, or miracles. Side question: Is there a blurb on using humans for animal flux?
3) Do lycanthropes exist in Esteren, and is there a way to add that "template" to an NPC?
4) Feondas seem to be more like mutations of nature, are there Feondas that would fit more of an Eldritch terror like Cthulhu or the like?

I think once I can answer these questions, I should be able to work on adapting this awesome horror video game in this awesome horror RPG.

Deorman

Re: Bloodborne in Esteren?

•    
  • Citation

Message par Deorman » 09 nov. 2015, 18:24

Hi
1) You want a large city but far from major cities ? Farl is pretty important for various reason, the head of the priest order from the temple is Rector of Farl's church.
You probably should just make your own city : Gwidre seems the kingdom with the most gothic culture, but either kingdom could fit.

2) There are already magientist healing artifex working with organic flux. Demorthens Ogham can theoretically do any kind of magic unlike Temple's miracle who are specifics. But the universe also got some characters with uncommon or unknown powers, oftenly dark magic.
Organic flux is what you get by extracting animal or human flux, though the later is of course forbidden, and taboo, and the source of many many rumors and prejudice against Magientists.

3) There are no case of lycanthropes in the current Esteren publications yet, but my personal bet is they have a good chance to appear in future content.

4) Since Esteren authors claimed Lovecraft as a source of inspiration one would assume your exemple would fit. Most feondas seems to come from a natural disorder against humanity but Feondas is simply the word for "ennemies" and that can englobe many things.

Hope this helped.
Dernière modification par Deorman le 10 nov. 2015, 02:38, modifié 1 fois.
"La prochaine fois essayez de mourir plus dans le cadre de notre stratégie"

Alfndrate

•    
  • Citation

Message par Alfndrate » 09 nov. 2015, 21:26

Thank you for some ideas.

The reason why I'm looking at Farl to be the location of the events in this scenario is that Farl already naturally fits into the idea of all three of the "arts" coming together in a way to help the people of the peninsula. There's a hospital in the city. While there is probably one in every large city, the one in Farl is famous enough to get a blurb in Book 2. This fits into my idea of "new and wonderous healing techniques" that are featured as a reason why people might travel to Farl. For reference the player travels to the city of Yharnham in Bloodborne to seek out a cure for a disease, and is told to see out the healing church which dispenses with "Blood ministrations". So the party, which is partially poisoned with Nimheil from the prologue, might seek out Farl to receive their healing techniques.

So my thought at using Farl is that the Magientists have worked with a sect of Demortheans to create a type of organic flux with healing properties. No one truly questions where this flux came from, just that it is able to heal people. The party arrives in Farl, sick with Nimheil, and receives this healing flux. Their Nimheil poisoning is cured, but they start to have terrible dreams, and wake up in a version of Farl that is in the midst of a "Hunt" and the players have to make their way through the city, fighting terrible beasts and investigating why everything went wrong. Eventually they discover that the organic flux is made from things not really organic (In Bloodborne it is theorized that the Blood Ministrations use blood from Elder Beings, which can cure humans, but drives them mad). So they set out to try and end this thing before the night is over (perhaps they must ingest some of the blood to keep their bodies going throughout the night) until their quest ends and they wake up and head for home, thankful of the cure they received the night before, thinking the previous events all but a dream.

I could make a city for this, but I think Farl would fit nicely.

Pierstoval
Web developer

•    
  • Citation

Message par Pierstoval » 10 nov. 2015, 20:06

For lycanthropes, the official campaign (which is still a WIP) will introduce some rules about human-to-animal mutation, it's not for now but it lets you know that it's possible, as long as the character becomes mad enough to change :D

Alfndrate

•    
  • Citation

Message par Alfndrate » 10 nov. 2015, 21:12

Wouldn't happen to have a playtest version of those rules would you? ;)

I'll probably toy around with trying a lycanthrope template from another system and see about tweaking it.

Clovis
Traducteur

•    
  • Citation

Message par Clovis » 15 nov. 2015, 11:45

Alfndrate a écrit :Wouldn't happen to have a playtest version of those rules would you? ;)
Ha ha, all in due time! Just be patient, Episode by Episode, the official campaign is being translated. It's going to be one of the major releases of Shadows of Esteren, so you won't be disappointed!
I'll probably toy around with trying a lycanthrope template from another system and see about tweaking it.
Yeah, that's what I'd go with too. My advice: stick to something simple yet meaningful. No need to implement a lot of circumstance modifiers, just go for the essentials. Typically: bonus Attack, Speed, Feats, etc. and penalty to mental rolls.
Allez, come on, allons-y, here we go, en avant, godspeed, hardi, let's do this!

Uggi

•    
  • Citation

Message par Uggi » 20 janv. 2016, 10:59

Alfndrate a écrit :Good day everyone!

I'm a GM that's running a small Esteren game once a week. My group has just finished the Poison scenario in Book 0, and I'm thinking of where I can take them now.

Eventually I'd like to run them through a large scenario that covers the large points of Bloodborne (a game on the PS4 by the creators of Dark Souls).

The problem I'm having.is adapting it to Esteren I need some help in this matter from you kind folks.
1) A large city with Gothic buildings far away from the major cities. Currently I'm thinking Farl, far to the north in Reizh.
2) Blood healing is a major plot point in the game, and I'm thinking that a wayward church has developed a way to mix "highly refined animal flux" with healing magics from either the Demorthean arts, or miracles. Side question: Is there a blurb on using humans for animal flux?
3) Do lycanthropes exist in Esteren, and is there a way to add that "template" to an NPC?
4) Feondas seem to be more like mutations of nature, are there Feondas that would fit more of an Eldritch terror like Cthulhu or the like?

I think once I can answer these questions, I should be able to work on adapting this awesome horror video game in this awesome horror RPG.
Have you started playing yet? Because I really like your flux approach. :)
I'm playing Bloodborne right now and I want to make some RP out of it, too.

I'm planning of doing this as a "stand-alone" project, without mentioning Esteren to my group before. However I will stage this on the main continent of the Esteren universe, probably within the kingdom of the Church and from that going more or less 1:1 like the game (meaning a hunt-ridden city, blood administration by the curch, a disease and some Lovecraft Horror). Using this I have more freedom with my story and background. It's still somehow connected to the Feondas, but maybe the Aegwynn was only banished on Esteren and not the whole continent? ;)
Playing involves very little NPC interaction, not so much action, but major exploration and hint-collecting to piece everything together by the players. These snippets will, at some point mention an expedition to an island with different cultures and once I drop the bomb, it will be revealed (OOC) to the players, that this is actually within Shadows of Esteren. :twisted:

I will probably start like the Cainhurst castle region: A group of fellow hunters (not friends or comrades - actually some will have personal plots to sacrifice/kill other players at the end) arrives with a coach at a snowbound castle. Upon leaving the coach they see the horses frozen to death and a skeleton as coachman. The rest is WIP. ^^

Répondre